Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New planted nano tank advice

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150628_212248.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	493122
I recently got a nano tank I believe it's five gallons, 18x8x10.
I have a up to 20gallon aquaclear filter on it and a heater with the water at 78. I planted some dwarf hair grass in flourite black sand all over the bottom 1 inch from each other but I'm seeing some that are turning brown or already were. Will a co2 system help them be healthy and spread? Also should I be doing putting any fertilizer in it or is it needed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2015, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Hello Algonquin and, welcome to TPT! The short answer to both of your questions is yes. However, we must also take into consideration your light intensity. So, to grow plants you need light, ferts and, CO2. Different plants require different levels of each. DHG requires at least a moderate level of all three plant needs. Your DHG may be browning for several reasons: 1) it was grown out of water and is transitioning to underwater growth or, 2) you are in short supply of one of the three main needs of aquatic plants, most likely ferts and, medium intensity lighting. Do some searches on the interwebs about the needs of DHG and let us know what you are already providing and perhaps we can help habe a lush tank of DHG!

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi thanks for the reply!
So yesterday I added a Limnosphila plant and today about 30 minutes ago I made a DIY CO2 system with a 2l bottle and 2 cups of sugar and 3/4 of a teaspoon of yeast. It has yet to start bubbling though. Also I am using a clear 25W light bulb im not sure if that is too strong for my tank or not. No fertilizers are being used and I do have 2 red leretto tetra in the tank as of last night.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2015, 10:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Not familiar with those tetras. Do you have a binomial(scientific) name? You still haven't listed any fert regimen. You will NEED ferts especially with CO2, there are liquid ferts you can use but a lot of people are switching to dry EI(estimative index, look this up) ferts. I don't know for sure what you mean by a clear bulb but I suspect you mean an incandescent bulb. This will only grow algae... You will want either fluorescent or LED lighting(look this up too regarding CFL vs LED, and choose which you feel more comfortable with).

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 06:15 AM
Algae Grower

Using CO2 will require nutrients balance, if you are starting with planted tank, Since your tank is small, instead of the DYI CO2, you could try daily Seachem Flourish Excel mix with weekly Seachem Flourish. You might need to upgrade your light

Are you a nature lover? follow me on instagram
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode