Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
my 2.5g tank

Tank: 12x6x8 (2.5g)
Filtration: Red Sea Nano Filter
Heater:
[COLOR=Black] Tetra 50w Submersible heater
Substrate: Eco Complete
Light: Satellite 18w SmartPaq 10000K/460NM Actinic (Planning to change to SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700ēK/10000ēK 18W[/FONT])
Plants: Java Moss (planning to add HC)
CO2: Planning on using just Excel
Inhabitants:2 Glo Lites,1 Neon,and 1 Oto

My question is will i need DIY co2 or is Excel fine??

Last edited by jackyuen89; 09-08-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Sounds like a nice little setup. Hope to see some pictures soon. In my opinion, if you have the option for DIY or pressurized C02, go for it. Exel works to a point, but is expensive. From all the threads I've read here, many people who start with a plan to use only Excel end up adding C02 later on down the road anyway.

Especially with the HC in there, it will really do well with C02.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Sounds like a great setup, that filter is the best for such small tanks. And Excel will work for a tank that small but like Outlaw said, if actual CO2 injection is possible by all means go for it, AND supplement with Excel.
Only thing I'd say about it is dealing with the fish. I'm not aware of the glo lites behavior or things like that, but as far as the neon, if you have a bigger tank transfer him to that one. If you don't, get at least 3 more as they are a schooling fish and being by itself it's probably stressed out. To be honest if you have another tank the best idea is to move the tetras into there and pick up a couple more otos and maybe look into some nano fish in the sticky in this forum.

|

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This is the tank now, but without the HC because it started to Melt. Planning on adding Drawf Hairgrass. I've read it can be grown without co2. Do you think it will be possible to maintain the tank with just Moss and Hairgrass. The specs of the tank are in the first post.

And I have have white spots on the glass. anyone know what this is?
thanks
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Like it was said before, ditch the neon tetra for a larger tank. Take it back to the store and see if you can trade it for another oto, or buy a couple of celestial pearl danios or feeder guppies.
Also, 50 watts is way, way overkill on a 2.5 tank.
I use a hydor mini submersible heater (7.5 watts) in mine and it keeps it very stable. Unless you live in a fridge, 50 watts might boil your tank. That's never fun.
Marineland makes a 10 watt heater and many companies make a 25 watt heater.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 06:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Its been about two months since my last post, and i change the livestock in the tank. Took out the tetras and in goes an Amano and two Galaxy Danios. The heater box says its rated for 2-15g tanks it keeps the tank between a 78 -80F and never makes the water warm.
Also recently came across the new Windows 7 and found a theme for my computer which is a XP. Never really liked Vista all the much looking forward to get the Windows 7. It comes with many HD wallpapers like these ones:

and now for the tank and the new inhabitants

A few days before I changed the livestock

Mr Amano

Mr Amano with the Galaxys in the back

the two Galaxys

Sorry if the pictures are a little bit blurry. Didn't focus enough on them and the Galaxys are quick! Call it Mr Amano but i dont know the real gender of the shrimp.

Here's a picture of the Oto in the tank
thanks for looking!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Nice tank. That poor amano looks like he's looking for a place to hide. He'd love a little pile of moss to play in, I'd bet...

Click here to see my dragons ->
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-08-2009, 11:53 PM
Algae Grower

Time to densely plant: its a good size for your galaxy danios, but they love being in thickly planted ditches. Maybe build a forest, at least along the edges or in a corner or two...

One tank up...I suppose if I got rid of all these books I could fit in 8 more tanks!
6g Planted Low Tech 5-15-2009 Start Date
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strick View Post
Nice tank. That poor amano looks like he's looking for a place to hide. He'd love a little pile of moss to play in, I'd bet...
Thanks strick theres a moss tree and the amano loves it right under the moss or its loves the crack in the driftwood right at the tip on top and it hides in there. Sometimes it spends its time cleaning and digging up the Eco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishydaze View Post
Time to densely plant: its a good size for your galaxy danios, but they love being in thickly planted ditches. Maybe build a forest, at least along the edges or in a corner or two...
What plants do you recommend??

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode