5.5g AGA rimless 16inx10inx8in tank(Warning 56k'ers) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
5.5g AGA rimless 16inx10inx8in tank(Warning 56k'ers)

After seeing many rimless aquariums I've decided to give it a try. With my 2.5 already setup couldn't really take the rim off, so i went to a 5.5g tank I had sitting around. With the top silicone almost gone I took a screwdriver (what a dumb move right?) and tried to take off the remaining silicone. and ended up with this.

The crack isn't bad and i could of just silicone that part up real nice but i wanted a clean look.So I bought another 5.5 and hoped not to end up in the same result. I was sitting on the sofa watching: Harold and Kumar 2 Escape from Guantanamo Bay while trying to derim it. With the rim loose and just had to cut the silicon on the corners I continued on watching the movie and then i heard a crack and ended up with this.

(The crack ran from across the whole peice of glass)

With 2 cracked tanks and not wanting to buy another 5.5 and possibly crack that one too, i thought the best alternative was to take apart one of the tanks and salvage a piece of glass and silicone it to he newer tank.
So a little project became a big load of work for me to do. Last night I finished taking apart the tanks. The tank I will be using now looks like this.

Some of the tools I've used to help me.(excluding the silicone which will be used in the next day or so)

Also don't forget all the elbow greese and strength used to scrap off the silicone. HAHA

In the last few days, I've thought about what I could do with the tank. I'm planning to have the tank as a RCS tank with some otos and with shrimp being so tiny i dont think they could jump or climb out of this would you?

Dimenson are 16x10x8. Basiclly a normal 5.5g turned sideways. With that said this should still hold 5.5g. Correct me if im wrong. Before i silicone the tank together I was to hear some opinions from you guys.

Should the tank be:
1)

OR

2)

Last edited by jackyuen89; 06-15-2009 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Personally, I dig the shorter version

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
yeah the second one ! reminds me of one of those 40 breeders

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"No se vive celebrando victorias, sino superando derrotas."

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 05:29 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Two, way more footprint.
And less depth means easier to get better lights.

||
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/96%)
Awsome idea. It looks good.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I really like the 40g breeder style looking tank too. And with all your replies i went ahead and silicone the tank. Here it is

Silicone a bit messy in some parts like this, but its just the bottom of the tank. So the Eco-Complete will cover it up.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:59 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks nice, I am looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The dimensions of the tank looks nice

Eheim Pimp #430

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I'm planning to order my filter and other supplies in the next few days. I might order some manzanita wood off manzanita.com. And I currently have some rocks I've picked up near a river. In the mean time, I started to think about what I can do with the tank.

Tank: 16x10x8 (5.5g)
Filtration: Tom's Rapid Mini Canister filter
Heater: Stealth Heater 50w
Substrate: 20lb of Eco Complete
Light: Hampton 27w Desk Lamp from Home Depot 10-11hrs a day(is this too much?
Plants: HC
CO2: Planning on using just Excel
Inhabitants: RCS and Otos

anyone have any suggestions,comments, or criticism? don't be afraid to drop a line or two! I would really appreciate your help!

Questions I have are:
Is the 27w light enought to grow HC to form a carpet?
And how much excel should i dose? I'm planning to dose 10ml every other day.
What other plants should i consider?
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

Yeah..I recommend you make some diy co2 for your tank.
Yes, 27 watts over a 5 gallon is enough to grow HC nicely. If you do not have any co2 in your tank...you will have lots of algae growing in your tank. My gf's bro has a 7 gallon with maybe 28 watts of lighting over in his tank and his tank has algae all over his HC.
Have you thought of a scape for your tank yet? What other plants do you plan to have besides HC?

Eheim Pimp #430

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddtran46 View Post
Yeah..I recommend you make some diy co2 for your tank.
Yes, 27 watts over a 5 gallon is enough to grow HC nicely. If you do not have any co2 in your tank...you will have lots of algae growing in your tank. My gf's bro has a 7 gallon with maybe 28 watts of lighting over in his tank and his tank has algae all over his HC.
Have you thought of a scape for your tank yet? What other plants do you plan to have besides HC?
wouldnt Excel over for co2??
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 07:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

I've read that co2 will help your plants grow alot faster compared with just excel. I have never tried just excel for a tank before. You can try only excel if you want, but this will cost you a quite a lot in the end. Diy will cost you only a couple of bucks.

Eheim Pimp #430

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
lookin good, im thinking about doing something similar in a 2.5g im woundering if you even need to run a filter on a tank that only really consist of shrimp and hc?
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-17-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinson85 View Post
lookin good, im thinking about doing something similar in a 2.5g im woundering if you even need to run a filter on a tank that only really consist of shrimp and hc?
I was still debating on what other stuff to add to the tank. I'm also considering to add Hemianthus micranthemoides in the back of the tank.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Yesterday was my 2nd time testing the tank for a leak. Seems there is a tiny little hole that i just cant seem to find so i can cover up with the silicone.
Today I Striped the area where it was leaking from. And re silicone it back up.
Hope it doesn't leak this time!! In the mean time i should be ordering my stuff either Tuesday or Wednesday. Sorry that i don't have any pictures. But i promise I'll have pictures of the next big post.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode