ground cover for low light tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ground cover for low light tank

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was wondering what is a good plant for a low light tank that spreads on the bottom. I looked at thread and I was wondering what HC was? Is that a low light ground cover. I want a easy care ground cover that spreads. I have a 2.5 gal. and a 3 gal. only has a 7watt bulb anything stronger will damage the plastic cover to the tank It has yellow dwarf shrimp in them and endler males. I have java moss, Java ferns in now. I do not have C02, just a azoo palm filter, heater, and pool fiter sand as the ground cover. I want to keep these tanks low-key. Any help would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
HC is Hemianthus callitrichoides and will not work for your situation. Actually, there might not be any "groundcover" that will grow under a 7W bulb. You could try Marsilea, or Cryptocoryne parva, but I doubt even they will be happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so what light should I buy for my tank of 3 gal. I noticed some people have a nice light that sits on the side of the tank and it looks adjustable. I want to set up a Paludarium sometime in the future. Where can I buy a light that sits on the outside of the tank overhead. I use drsfostersmith on-line put have not seem ones like that one. I'm open to ideas for this tank with my shrimps. I'm getting a peice of Mayasian drift wood sent soon. I think I will cover it with java moss.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 06:42 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (192/100%)
Just saying that HC will require more light and CO2 and fertilization, not an easy plant for a tiny tank like that.

Check out Home Depot or Lowes, they have some table lights that some folks use to light nanos.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just get a desk lamp and elevate it over the tank.

I heard you say before that it was like a bulb in the oetsmart tank.
Get a spiral bulb and elevate the bulb a bit so it doesn't damage the cover.

I'd still say get a desklamp.

Marsilia Minuta
E Tenellus
Elatine Triandra

Some lower light ground cover.

||
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Home Depot has the Hampton Bay desk lamp. It has a 27W bulb and can be found for between $20-30. I use that along with a Red Sea Nano filter (almost the same as the Azoo, if I'm not mistaken) on my 2.5g and I couldn't be happier. HC grows nicely in the tank, but as noted with the help of Co2 (DIY is good enough for tanks so small) and ferts. Just take the plastic cover off and use the a desk lamp.

|

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM
NO3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I found patches of moss carpet in my yard, so I plucked them out and planted them in a 4" cube, one stem at a time as an experiment. It's been in the tank for a week and I haven't lost one yet. I dose with 3 drops of Excel daily and the cube gets some indirect light from a 6" cube sitting next to it. I also have 4 tiny endlers fry and a snail in it to provide nutrients to the plants. Substrate is just sand from Home Depot, rinsed many times. I have noticted the moss is actually turning from a pale green color during initial planting to a more healthy darker green today. I have to monitor it more closely for actual growth and will report later.

4" cube,

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

NO3, I'd love to see the 4" cube!

My friend has good luck with Marsilia Minuta in low light...but if she misses a dose of excel it gets algae on it really easily.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 07:21 PM
NO3
Algae Grower

Sure thing...one blurry picture coming up. I should probably start a journal with better pictures once I'm sure the moss is making it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
NO3, I'd love to see the 4" cube!

4" cube,

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-26-2009, 01:54 AM
NO3
Algae Grower

Well tank is up for over 2 weeks and moss is doing just fine. I am seeing new vertical growth but not sure if they will be spreading into carpet. New leaves are a little smaller too.

Found some skinny blade grass yesterday in the yard and dumped them into the tank also. Will see what happens to the grass next.

4" cube,

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode