first nano 2.5gal - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
first nano 2.5gal

first timer at planted tanks, and nano tanks. thinking of getting shrimp next, and some tiny fish. Any suggestions on fish types, filters, or anything else?

eco complete
pagoda rocks
dwarf baby tears
2.5 tank
9" coralife
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	13865  

Name:	IMG_1786.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	13866  

Name:	IMG_1787.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	13867  

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	13868  

Name:	IMG_1791.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	13869  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 04:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to lookin_around
I think your hardscape is off to a great start, some great look rocks you've got there. That is a lot of HC, gonna add any other types of plants?

As for a filter I would definitely recommend one. Without some flow going through that tank, you will have some stagnant-water-algae-problems (S.W.A.P). <--I just made that up

For my 2.5 I simply have a Red Sea Nano HOB filter which has been working well for me, but it is definitely just enough for this size tank. You may want to look into canister filters.

What are you looking at for Co2, Ferts, and photoperiod?

As for fish, I would say to go look at the nano fish list, there are plenty of choices there.

Can't way to see this thing develop!

--
Glenn
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I use a Red Sea nano filter (Deco Art) ... its great...

http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...no-Filter.aspx

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCat594 View Post
I use a Red Sea nano filter (Deco Art) ... its great...

http://www.petco.com/product/12148/R...no-Filter.aspx
I have one of those, works great! Used it on my marine setup.

You could also do a big ugly sponge filter. It would provide some water movement.

Filstar Pimp #84
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-08-2009, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

I dunno if we're gonna get more plants, I think we might wait to see if these don't die first. (we always end up killing our plants, underwater and houseplants)

With so many recommendations for the red sea nano filter, I will definitely go out and buy one tomorrow night.

The people at the fish store said we didn't need co2. We put excel in the water...is that a fert? We don't have a timer on the light, so like, 12 to 14 hrs? (from when we get up til when we go to sleep.)

Thanks for all the advice and responses!
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:08 AM
Algae Grower

I would have some taller plants in the back left, 2-3 banana plants in the front left, and anubias nana in the front right near and on the rocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:48 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Go for as long as you can before adding fish: got to cycle the tank and build your ammonia tackling bacteria in the filter to get a consistent level of control in the tank, or fish will at least be very stressed and more likely to die. (hunt for cycle info on this site). Read some of the 'articles' (listed on top menu bar of the Planted tank site) there are several about starting up tanks. Many say true cycling could take up to 8 weeks....

Flourish Excel= CO2 in a bottle (great for plants, don't overdo for fish or for plants)
Suggest Flourish Comprehensive or other liquid fert or maybe undergravel pellet fertilizer that slowly dissolves for a month at a time?

Cheap timers available at target: 8 bucks, for consistency and when you are away (don't plug your heater into it though, learn from my mistakes) .

In the Nano Tank forum, the first thread listed is a 'sticky' that has bunches of suggestions for nanofish...not all are great suggestions (and the definition of nano for that thread was up to 10 gallons); so make sure to track down the adult size of each fish and whether they like to school (3 or more) for happy living...some say a nano tank is not kind to a true schooling fish, as you can't have a really crowd for them to feel safe in.

Probably top recommended fish for nano tank would be an otocinclus (3 or more a small small catfish that stays small and that eats algae (bonus!) and is not disruptive to plantings; they like some cover, though (some bushy plant) if you don't have cover (taller plants, a driftwood piece etc.) they will really need their companions for happiness. Shrimp would rock in your tank: but again they would like a chunk of moss or two for hiding, and for coverage for their fry.

One tank up...I suppose if I got rid of all these books I could fit in 8 more tanks!
6g Planted Low Tech 5-15-2009 Start Date
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

Oh, looking at your planting, it will might thicken up quickly, so might be just fine for shrimp (although they do love their java moss)...

One tank up...I suppose if I got rid of all these books I could fit in 8 more tanks!
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Great scape you have there! I totally dig the uphill slope. Can't wait to see this one grow out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Algae Grower

I have a nano tank that is 2.5 and 3 gal. I use a Azoo Palm filter from http://www.drsfostersmith.com Item # APD-14052 it's only $8.99 on-line
It's like a canister filter on a big tank. I put a bio sponge in front of where the water flows out. Works great. It's for a 2-5 gal. tank and the water flow is adjustable. The heater that I used is a Theo Heater 25 watt form drsfostersmith item # APD-18872 It is $14.39 and can be adjusted to the temp you want. It's 7" and is for a 2-7 gal tank size This works well in my tiny tanks.I would stock your tank with Red Cherry Shrimp or Yellow dwarf shrimp and some small endler males maybe 3 or 4 only as they are livebearers and can overpopulate you tiny tank or neon tetras They would look nice in your black sand tank or glow-light tetras in a school of 3 or 4. Nice tank!
post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-14-2009, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacrax07 View Post
I would have some taller plants in the back left, 2-3 banana plants in the front left, and anubias nana in the front right near and on the rocks.
Took your advice and added some anubias nana near the rocks. Will be adding something taller in the back too, but haven't decided what just yet. Also got the new nano filter going for some movement. I put a bit of my established 10g's bio filter in there to get things a'cycling.

Confession- I jumped the gun a bit on fauna and got 2 Celestial Pearl Danios from Skipton's today. I hope they can ride out any spikes, poor things. Had to though, they were just too great to pass up. Promise to wait awhile before adding more! Here's a pic, not great but best I could get.
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Algae Grower

love the pointy triangle of your rocks, the tall right down to a point...

keep up consistent little water changes to help out your celestials; and they would like some tall stem plants to hide among at least until they have a little more company (other celestials or really gently community fish, like endlers or guppies (single gender only of these species recommended for nano tank so they don't overwhelm your tank with babies)); make sure not to get wild celestials only tank-raised, as they are almost extinct in wild.

my suggestion for companions: a little flock of boraras briggitae (they are what I am eyeing for mine) they like to have a little school but are only 1.3 inch max...oh, or Emerald Dwarf Rasboras (microrasbora erythromicron), they would look great with celestials (stripes to contrast with the celestial spots) (also a small school recommended for this species, 3 or more) .75 inch max?! from what I can find...

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Painting the background black would make this little tank seem even larger.

Keep an eye on your water parameters. Your tank can't possibly be cycled after only a week. Looks good though. Nice job.
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Bad idea on the CPDs, make sure to test the ammonia and nitrite daily and do enough water changes to keep them at or below 0.25ppm. Use lots of Prime to condition the water. And get lots of stem plants as fishydaze mentioned, maybe some floating hornwort to sop up the nitrogen spikes until the cycle is done. Hopefully, they're as tough as real danios, but we shall see.

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 06-15-2009, 03:05 AM
Algae Grower

I don't know why, but all anubias looks so cool. If they weren't so expensive, I'd have an anubias only 2.5 gallon tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode