Java moss carpet? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Java moss carpet?

I'm setting up a semi hex, low tech , low light, 6 gallon betta tank.

I'm thinking of doing a java moss carpet using needlepoint canvas. Some driftwood, and java ferns.

Will a moss carpet be too much maintenance wise (ex- collect to much detritus) for a 6gal with a betta and possibly a mystery snail or African dwarf frog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereya View Post
I'm setting up a semi hex, low tech , low light, 6 gallon betta tank.

I'm thinking of doing a java moss carpet using needlepoint canvas. Some driftwood, and java ferns.

Will a moss carpet be too much maintenance wise (ex- collect to much detritus) for a 6gal with a betta and possibly a mystery snail or African dwarf frog?
Bare minimum 10g tank for adf, and a group of 3 frogs is better.
Snails are HUGE poopers, also need calcium for their shells, do you know if you have hard/calcium rich tap?
Java moss should not be too much of a pain to keep manageable in low light low tech.. in meidum/high light with co2 it would grow "fast" but fast for a moss is still slow compared to many other species.
Don't tie the java moss so tight that it's pinched-like tieing off your arm too tight to not get blood flow. For cleaning use a siphon (I use the aqueon mini siphon) or just plain airline tube for cleaning swirl it around just above the moss carpet the water movement should set free anything in the moss for easy siphoning out.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
The last time when I was trying to make java moss carpet the moss just died. I tied it to plastic mesh and I guess the moss didn't like it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the advice!

I'll axe the ADF off the list, I'm not new to fish keeping but I have never had those before and a lot of what I was reading was saying a group of them would be fine in a 6, so thanks for letting me know

As far as snails, I raise many of them across many tanks... So I have my pH levels in check as well as my supply of calcium rich foods and cuttlebone. They are happy snails!

I already have the moss growing like wildfire in my other tanks but I've never used it for a carpet before... So Luckily if it dies it won't be a big deal.

This will be my first nano tank since I was a teenager and I am still fairly new to planted tanks! I'm excited

Bump: One more question sorry, the tank has a sponge filter. Would the sponge filter sitting directly on the carpet interfere with the filtration? If so how much of an empty space would I need to leave around it?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereya View Post
Thanks for all the advice!

I'll axe the ADF off the list, I'm not new to fish keeping but I have never had those before and a lot of what I was reading was saying a group of them would be fine in a 6, so thanks for letting me know

As far as snails, I raise many of them across many tanks... So I have my pH levels in check as well as my supply of calcium rich foods and cuttlebone. They are happy snails!

I already have the moss growing like wildfire in my other tanks but I've never used it for a carpet before... So Luckily if it dies it won't be a big deal.

This will be my first nano tank since I was a teenager and I am still fairly new to planted tanks! I'm excited

Bump: One more question sorry, the tank has a sponge filter. Would the sponge filter sitting directly on the carpet interfere with the filtration? If so how much of an empty space would I need to leave around it?
As long as the carpet is kept in check and no literally growing tall enough to partially/fully hide the filter it should be ok.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Awesome, thank you!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 07:56 PM
Algae Grower

If you add any shrimps, they also do a great job cleaning up the Java Moss. Since you have a Betta, medium sized species such as Japonica Amano Shrimp would work well. I keep two with my Betta and they clean up algae, fungus, and everything dirty in the tank.

Nice that you are interested in planted nano tanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by geealexg View Post
If you add any shrimps, they also do a great job cleaning up the Java Moss. Since you have a Betta, medium sized species such as Japonica Amano Shrimp would work well. I keep two with my Betta and they clean up algae, fungus, and everything dirty in the tank.

Nice that you are interested in planted nano tanks!
Even large shrimp aren't always safe with bettas.. some fish just don't like tank mates (not all but some). I have an elephant ear betta whos killed ghost shrimp and amano shrimp.. but I have a delta with cherry shrimp (dwarf species) taht gets along with them just fine.

~
~
~
~
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Algae Grower

Betta with Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Even large shrimp aren't always safe with bettas.. some fish just don't like tank mates (not all but some). I have an elephant ear betta whos killed ghost shrimp and amano shrimp.. but I have a delta with cherry shrimp (dwarf species) taht gets along with them just fine.
Yeah I agree with you. It really depends on the individual Betta's temperament and personality. Anyways, keep us posted on the the Java Moss carpet!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode