what C02 for nanos? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
what C02 for nanos?

I'm setting up a 3 gallon nano, and a 20 gallon long. I'm trying to figure out the best way to deliver C02. I really do not want to use glass diffusors. Even the 20 long is so shallow that bubbles from a diffusor don't have much time to get disolved. And every time I have used them they constantly get clogged.

Any ideas? What are other people using for nanos?

I'm looking at Red Seas 500 reactor.

I have used it in 30 gallon and 55 gallon tanks before, but never anything smaller. It measures 3.75 x 1.6 x 2.2. It has a vortex flow inside the chamber to dissolve the gas into the water, and the flow on the pump is ajustable. I am a little worried it might create to strong a current in a three gallon tank, but the small foot print is great. I don't think I can find anything any smaller. Red Sea says it can handle up to 180 bubbles per minute. That seems like plenty for a 3 gallon tank. Any draw backs to this unit?

Are there any other alternatives?

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 05:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I don't really think CO2 is really needed for a tank that size. Seachem Excel should do the job.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
How about a 20 long or even a ten, (same height). Would you not use C02 in them? I have gone the Excel route and was hoping for something better.

Robert Paul Hudson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kindness like love is unconditional

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
use a powerhead of hagen mini elite for CO2 misting, inject directly into your filter, or use a hagen ladder. imho a reactor on something so small would reduce flow too much
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Well, for a 10 or 20g, you could always use a power head to diffuse your CO2. But for a 3g tank, IMO it would be best if Excel is used or glass diffuser, but you don't like the glass diffuser method.

What kind of filtration for the 3g?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
On the 3g I'd suggest using a Red Sea Nano filter. Not only does it act as a filter, and a good one at that, but you can work around a ton of different ways to get the CO2 into it. I've had it set up with a regular airstone under the intake, a bare sending full bubbles into the intake, and currently have it as a secondary filter with a discard-a-stone shoved up the intake with holes drilled above it.
On the bigger tank I'd go with the Hagen Mini Elite. It's nice, small and chops the bubbles up really nice and small. If you stick the sponge filter from the bottom of it onto the output, it makes the bubble even smaller. Plus, in a bigger tank it adds just that much more filtration, and who doesn't like cleaner water, right?

|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to malaybiswas
Excel is the way to go for a 3 gallon.

Patience is the name of the game.

|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode