Mini-L, plant suggestion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
Mini-L, plant suggestion

I have an ADA mini-L (8.8g, 18"x11"x12"); currently, I have Ambulia as a background plant. It's been a good starter plant, however, the growth rate of that plant is such that I have to trim it every 2-3 days, so I'm going to replace it. I'd like to replace it with something more colorful.

The colorful plants that I'm aware of (that are moderate-to-easy to grow) are various varieties of Hygrophila (sunset, tiger, bold). If I'm not mistaken, they would have as high a growth rate as the ambulia I'm replacing.

My question... does anyone have any suggestions for a plant that would look good in a smallish tank (the ambulia isn't really the right "scale"), provide some background color, and wouldn't require me to trim every other day?

Oh.. tank parameters, pressurized CO2, 36W 8000K bulb, aquasoil, 72 deg, soft, ~6.5 pH. Inhabitants: 1,379,280 snails (ok, I'm exaggerating, 4 ), 2 otto's, 20 RCS, 3 anubias nana, UG, riccia, 2-leaf pearlweed, 3 needle-leaf java ferns.

Thanks in advance.

-qt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I may be a little biased because it is one of my favorite plants, but Rotala sp. 'Mini' Type 1 or 2 would do what you're wanting. It has a pretty big range of colors, and I've had mine in my tank for almost a month now and haven't had to do much trimming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
That or Lindernia India is a slow grower, Rotala Butterfly, sure there are more just none I can think off.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Both excellent suggestions... I like the colors.

From what I can find, the rotala mini is about 1" or so from tip to tip, that about right? I can find a few pictures, the difference between the two minis seems to be leaf-curl (one appears to curl across the leaf, the other along its length) and color. That right?

Lindernia India is beatiful... I like the purple.

These plants hard to come by?

-qt
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
A lot of people are selling Rotala Mini in the Swap n Shop.

O_o
/ /_______________________________
| BWAAAH IMA FIRIHN MA LAZER!!!!!!!!!
\_\
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

Rotala Mini is a little bigger than 1" I'd say maybe 5 or 6"
And yes, Type 1 the leaves curl downwards, whereas they are more flat/curverd up on Type 2

The Lindernia India is a little harder to come by but I've seen it a few times recently in the S&S. The Rotala should be easy to find, and decently priced too.

|

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The mini is 5-6" wide or tall? 5" wide doesn't seem very mini.

The only information I can find says its about 1" wide (from tip to tip). How is this different from something like Rotala colorata? (Forgive me, I'm ignorant of rotalas)

-qt
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sorry, thought you meant from top to bottom. It grows short and slow (for me at least), but its defiantly shorter than an inch from tip to tip (at least Type 1 is). The difference is mainly the size, and the variance of colors from a single plant. Also, at least in my experience, its impossible to NOT get nice coloring out of this plant.

|

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No worries, I reread my post (#4), I wasn't exactly clear. Probably sounded silly that someone would ask for a 1" tall rotala.

Thanks for the help, rrrrramos.

-qt

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode