.5 gallon zen garden. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
.5 gallon zen garden.

I call this my zen garden, it's a .5(?) gallon.
Substrate is Eco Complete
I dose .5ML excel and 2 drops of flourish daily
The lighting is a tiny compact florescent, 7 watt 7200k
I don't remember the heater brand, but it keeps the temperature at a steady 75 degrees, and the filter is a little red-sea nano filter.
Plants; Lots of Sunset Hygrophila , Java Moss, (?)Rotala and Dwarf Hairgrass. I had some Java fern in there but it started to take over the tank worse then the Sunset Hygrophila did.. I ditched it.
The only 2 inhabitants are 2 baby female guppies and 1 (probably more) ramsorn(?) snail.

I've been working on this tank for a little over a year now, it went from:

To:

and:

Still working on it of course, I'd like to know what you all think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
cute

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
NO3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wow, I like it. Takes 1 year?

I have a 1 gallon cube set up with HC and Hairgrass. It's been up for about 2 month and growth is still very slow. I am getting impatient, think about giving up on it everyday.

4" cube,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The tank is well planted, very lush, with very healthy moss...the sunset looks a bit pale though.
This would make a great shrimp tank. Any way to remove that big heater?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Eeek! So adorable!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:06 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
the heater is Tetra Whisper I have one for my 2.5g a bit bulky but it does the job
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
I like it, gives me ideas for an office tank, thank you. I think it looks good as is, and I particularly like the white rock against the green.

There does seem to be something a little too light about the Sunset: maybe a little extra Iron supplement(for chlorophyll) or a new light bulb? Anyone else have other suggestions?

In the zen theme: you might consider cutting a path through the Sunset, something that goes out of sight, maybe from the front right to off behind the java moss. You could highlight with gravel or white sand or small white 'boulders'...something that adds to the sense of distance and contemplation of the unknown ...then again, is it truly zen if you aren't just satisfied with the moment?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3 View Post
Wow, I like it. Takes 1 year?

I have a 1 gallon cube set up with HC and Hairgrass. It's been up for about 2 month and growth is still very slow. I am getting impatient, think about giving up on it everyday.
It took me a year because I had, at first, been very lax about the whole thing, I was mainly using the tank for baby guppies. I threw in a plant here and there, didn't really care so much, and then over the past 4-5 months finally kicked it up a notch. I started dosing, which REALLY made the sunset burst, and added some hairgrass, and started working with the plants to have the layout I wanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClPat View Post
The tank is well planted, very lush, with very healthy moss...the sunset looks a bit pale though.
This would make a great shrimp tank. Any way to remove that big heater?
Thanks
I had been a bit lax on cutting the sunset for the past 2 weeks, so it grew too big and was blocking the hairgrass and the rotala. I cut it this morning shortly before I took the pictures.. the tops were nice and pink, I hated to toss them but I know the pink will come back soon.

See that liiiitttlle tiny piece of something in the first picture to the right? Thats that same plant saved from a project gone wrong, almost all of the plants in that project had died except for a tiny bit of the sunset and some moss. Thankfully, as you can see, it's made a full recovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackyuen89 View Post
the heater is Tetra Whisper I have one for my 2.5g a bit bulky but it does the job
Aha! Thanks! I was wracking my brain earlier trying to remember the name/brand of that heater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishydaze View Post
I like it, gives me ideas for an office tank, thank you. I think it looks good as is, and I particularly like the white rock against the green.

There does seem to be something a little too light about the Sunset: maybe a little extra Iron supplement(for chlorophyll) or a new light bulb? Anyone else have other suggestions?

In the zen theme: you might consider cutting a path through the Sunset, something that goes out of sight, maybe from the front right to off behind the java moss. You could highlight with gravel or white sand or small white 'boulders'...something that adds to the sense of distance and contemplation of the unknown ...then again, is it truly zen if you aren't just satisfied with the moment?
Thanks for the suggestion I'll start adding some iron suppliment, I realized I had a bottle of it and I haven't even been using it
I think I might just work on that path soon...

Speaking of improvement, can anyone think of a nano-capable plant that would look good in this setting?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 05:17 AM
Algae Grower

Well if the sunset's just been trimmed I guess it's ok...would be good dosing iron though.
I would also add more pebbles. Very nice, simple and effective. Don't forget about my advice to add shrimp!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (36/100%)
i would get a hydor mini heater if i were you they are flat and will probably work better considering you can even put it in the filter

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
i would get a hydor mini heater if i were you they are flat and will probably work better considering you can even put it in the filter
I was just about to suggest that

Click the picture

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 AM

I like it and gave me an office tank thought, thank you. I think it looks good, but I especially like the white rock on the green.

Tags
nano, planted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode