Need help planning low-mid light Mini-M - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help planning low-mid light Mini-M

So I'm picking up a Mini-M for my kitchen and have a 36w Archaea light hanging around not being used. Ideally I want to have a semi low tech tank with mosses, crypts and anubias. I'll be doing DIY CO2 and dose some ADA ferts.

I'm worried about 36w's being too much for the Mini-M, and causing a huge algae outbreak. But what if I have the lights on for only 4 hrs a day? Will that work out ok? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-08-2009, 11:33 PM
Algae Grower

Indeed this may be too much, I'd stay in the mid-20s, but maybe you could do a hi-tech low maintenance tank, which would look like a low-tech. By that I mean mosses, java fern, bolbitis, anubias, crypts but also a hairgrass foreground and perhaps a backdrop of rotalas or any similar species. That is, assuming you're going low-light for the look of it. If it's for practical reasons, then yes, I'd lower the lights.
BTW I notice you're in San Francisco, that means AFA!. You'll be sure to find people to help you and better, awesome plants. I notice a lot of members here have purchased mini-pellia there, give it a try!
And please, don't let the posting end here, make a JOURNAL!!!
BTW 4 hours daily is probably too short, you can't make up for poor lighting by letting it on longer, so I guess it works the same for the opposit.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Way too much light for Low-mid lighting. I run 27 watts on my Mini M and that is pushing the high light pressurized co2 mark. Also plants really need a minimum of around 6 hours of lighting a day. You could always suspend the light way above the tank 12+ inches to cut down on intensity but you will have alot of light spill then.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClPat View Post
Indeed this may be too much, I'd stay in the mid-20s, but maybe you could do a hi-tech low maintenance tank, which would look like a low-tech. By that I mean mosses, java fern, bolbitis, anubias, crypts but also a hairgrass foreground and perhaps a backdrop of rotalas or any similar species. That is, assuming you're going low-light for the look of it. If it's for practical reasons, then yes, I'd lower the lights.
BTW I notice you're in San Francisco, that means AFA!. You'll be sure to find people to help you and better, awesome plants. I notice a lot of members here have purchased mini-pellia there, give it a try!
And please, don't let the posting end here, make a JOURNAL!!!
BTW 4 hours daily is probably too short, you can't make up for poor lighting by letting it on longer, so I guess it works the same for the opposit.
As of right now, I'm finding myself with less time to dedicate to my hobbies. I actually gave up planted tanks about 2 years ago and I've missed it ever since. Now with a new apartment with some more room, I wanna start small.

I've always liked the way low and mid light plants look in a tank, and I've never tried a semi low tech tank.

I love AFA! Great place, awesome people. I always wanted a fish tank, but when I walked in there for the first time while skipping out on work, I knew I wanted a planted tank. I'll never forget that day *snif*

Thanks for the advice; as soon as I figure out all the logistics and such, I'll try to start a journal.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
Way too much light for Low-mid lighting. I run 27 watts on my Mini M and that is pushing the high light pressurized co2 mark. Also plants really need a minimum of around 6 hours of lighting a day. You could always suspend the light way above the tank 12+ inches to cut down on intensity but you will have alot of light spill then.
Thanks for the advice. As of now, the tank will be placed on the kitchen counter under the cabinets, where I have about 22 inches to work with vertically. So I really can't move the light higher.

I really didn't want to buy another light, but if I have to I will. I've seen the Hampton Bay lamps being popular, but are there clip on lights I can place on the side of the tank instead? Or is there a good 14 inch, 20w fixture out there?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 07:06 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Take a look at this thread and purchase the same light from AFA. It is the 27W CF light. It can telescope so you can have less intense lighting and can move it out of the way when you do maintenance. Let us know what you decide with.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...kilicious.html
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erirku View Post
Take a look at this thread and purchase the same light from AFA. It is the 27W CF light. It can telescope so you can have less intense lighting and can move it out of the way when you do maintenance. Let us know what you decide with.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pl...kilicious.html

He will still need CO2 with that light. I know the Algae comes a knocking if I miss some CO2 for a day.

I would recommend around 18-20 watts max for this tank if you want no CO2.

A desklamp with a screw in type CFL would work great.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
He will still need CO2 with that light. I know the Algae comes a knocking if I miss some CO2 for a day.

I would recommend around 18-20 watts max for this tank if you want no CO2.

A desklamp with a screw in type CFL would work great.

Craig
I like the way that light looks but then again the amount of vertical space I have makes it an issue along with the wattage.

I've been looking around the boards and found a Finnex 4 gallon system with a 13w light fixture. I think this all in one system might fit my needs better than purchasing the components individually. What do y'all think?

Also, any idea where I can find one? Been looking around but they seem to be discontinued.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-09-2009, 04:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Albany Aquarium has the Finnex 4 for forty bucks.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well after looking around for a bit, I've decided for sure on a Mini-M and the 27w Archaea light fixture from AFA. I like the way the setup looks.

At this point I just need to figure out some measurements to make sure the tank and fixture will fit under my cabinets. Can someone who has both measure from the bottom of their tank to the top of the light please. That would be of great help, thanks.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 10:39 AM

I like the way, but then the amount of vertical space and light, so I have a problem with the wattage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode