Green spot algae on Anubias? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green spot algae on Anubias?

Hello!

I have a 5G planted tank that's only been up and running 11 days. So far everything has been going well - most plants seem happy, fish seem happy, water quality is good, etc.

The tank is a Radius rimless, and I'm just using the LED clip on that came with it. My understanding is that that's a super low light.

Well, a leaf of one of my Anubias that's closest to the light (it's up on some driftwood) is getting some algae on it - from pictures/threads it appears to be green spot or hair algae???

Any tips on how to keep this from getting out of control? The light can't exactly get lower.

In fact, I'd been considering upgrading to the Finnex FugeRay Planted+ Aquarium LED that I'd seen praised in another thread. I'd love more light in the tank simply for a better view, and figured upping to medium light would do the low light plants good. (And I like the idea of the moonlights)

But now I wonder if that's just asking for extra trouble?

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks a bit like youve got some of both algae going... my anubias in my 5g had a lot of green spot algae on it before my stem plants grew up around and shaded it pretty well. Thats with a fugeray clip light (same as planted plus but no moonlights). Either wait it out, or try adding some floating plants like frogbit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

If I add floating plants will that make too much shade for the plants at the bottom of the tank? I've got Wendtii Green and Crypt Parva.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
That algae is from too much light.
Raise the fixture/cut the hrs/try other plants/pick one...
May not be 100% that simple, but mostly it is.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you think upgrading to the Finnex light, but having the main lights on less hours, and then using the moonlights, would help solve the issue?

Anything else I could add that would eat up some of the nutrients the algae is taking advantage of?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is a new tank. You're most likely going to get various stages of different algaes until it settles down and matures.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead2fall View Post
This is a new tank. You're most likely going to get various stages of different algaes until it settles down and matures.
Thank you. I guess I should relax and let things settle
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
This can be from a very wide variety of things. You can spot dose excel with a syringe and your flow off. That's what I do for my anubias when it gets looking just like this. As for your light. You might want to look at the current usa planted plus lights. It should be enough light for what you are looking for with full color as well. The prices have also come down since the planted plus pro came out. Good luck
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2015, 04:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by loach guy View Post
This can be from a very wide variety of things. You can spot dose excel with a syringe and your flow off. That's what I do for my anubias when it gets looking just like this. As for your light. You might want to look at the current usa planted plus lights. It should be enough light for what you are looking for with full color as well. The prices have also come down since the planted plus pro came out. Good luck
Thank you very much!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode