Impromptu 3 gallon dutch. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 12:20 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Impromptu 3 gallon dutch.

This was previously my 'Uh, I have nowhere to put these plants so I'll just toss them in here' tank, untill I woke up this morning and found the guppies gasping at the surface due to an overdose of DIY CO2 (Yes Virginia, you can kill fish with diy!)

I dumped out the diy mixture, tossed on an airstone, replaced the old hulking eclipse filter that blacked out the back half of the tank with a red sea nano, and scaped it.

It'll be fun to see if this grows in well.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It'll be interesting to see how this grows as, as far as I can see, there is no hardscape. I've wanted to try something like this for a while now.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, It'll be kind of blobby dutch style if it grows in like I hope it will.

Personally, I think all of my nanos from here on in are going to be like this, trying to work around hardscapes in such tiny tanks (with such horrible tweezers) is just a pain.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 01:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
wtf, that isn't an ADA brand coffee maker.

I don't see any reason why this couldn't look cool, especially if the lotus stays small like you say it does/has!

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

No, it's not an ADA coffee maker, you should see the ADA teapot though.
The lotus needs to recover the bit, but I want/need to trim the larger leaves off. they're kind of .. not nice looking from when they were floating to long.

SPEAKING OF FLOATING TO LONG

Yesterday it was just the polygonum floating, this morning I wake up to this stem of rotala on the surface. Still better than guppies, though.

Oh and

anybody know what this cute plant is?
I could probably name every forground plant forwards and backwards, but if you try to make me idenitfy a ludwigia vs. a rotala, I'm screwed. Stem plants just arn't my thing.

Last edited by Dollface; 05-19-2009 at 08:49 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Growth!

Don't be fooled by the shorter polygonum and the disapearing lotus, the stems are rebounding somthing fierce.

the polygonum got cut down so it would finally STAY IN THE DIRT. And the lotus, well, evidently this little guy is fussy. I pinched off one damaged leaf last week, and I got home from the weekend to find that nearly the entire plant (10+ leaves!) had melted from the bulb up!

having discovered this, I .. promptly trimmed off some more damaged leaves, this next week should be fun.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
what a hot mess!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Atleast I wiped all the algae off the front! ... Last week. Whoops.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
dollface, that plant you asked about looks like diliplis diandra. at least it looks like what i have and was told was diliplis diandra
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moogoo View Post
dollface, that plant you asked about looks like diliplis diandra. at least it looks like what i have and was told was diliplis diandra
I actually got it ID'd last night as pogostemon erectum. And that stuff I've been thinking was limno mini all this time? Rotala. I fail at stems.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Algae and otos and bettas oh my!

My betta Daimyo got moved in here temporarily after I managed to short the circut that his tank was hooked up to, WHOOPS.
It finally triggered me to consolidate some tanks, and since he wasn't getting moved into the 6ppm ammonia laden 10 gallon, and couldn't really go into the goldfish tank, he went in here.

The thing is since the betta is in here I had to remove the black background, because he flares at it constantly. I don't even know why, maybe he's able to see his reflection in it or somthing. But since I don't want to stress him out, it had to go.

Problem is, without the black background it looks, well, eeurrgh. The sides are covered in a delightful mix of GDA and diatoms, and that GSA is spreading with gusto. and I can't be bothered to do anything other than wipe the front panel down. Really I didn't even care about the stuff on the sides, its when my poor lotus started getting covered in icky brown stuff, I drew the line. So, tiiiinnyy little oto, and he's got enough food in there to last a long, long while.

I need to trim that HM and replant the tops. :S

Oh yeah!
See the twig? I added a twig.
It's got some hitchhiker fissidens tied to it, hopefully it'll grow. pictures just don't do fissidens justice, it looks like billions of time cooler irl.

OhOhOh, and.
Hopefully sometime in the future, I want to get a whole bunch of yellow shrimp for this tank. Maybe 10 or so, Cherries are great and all but I don't think red would really work for this tank. Besides, I think the yellow shrimp would complement daimyos' purple nicely.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
just be careful with the betta and guppies together. Sometimes they will chase each other due to the big colorful tails Also the betta might pester the shrimp if you get some. Starting to look good though. Your oto should be fat and happy haha
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

The guppies and betta have been getting along .. well, swimmingly. My betta is on the wussy side, really, and the guppies are smart enough to realize that daimyo could still kick their ass if they tried anything. So it's all good so far.

Not sure about the betta vs. shrimp, there's one lone cherry shrimp in there (I don't even know how, man, it just teleported there somehow) who is doing okay. There seems to be enough hiding places that (s)he does't get bugged much though.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
interesting thoughts, making me want to try it except for the fact i dint have that many plants right now lol
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-24-2009, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh boy, last updated this, what ... 3 months ago?

Well anyway.
This tank is still chugging along.

What to say, other than mweh.

I'm pretty pleased how the gigantic blyxa mass on the right side is coming out, but that's about it.
The DIY Co2 I had on there ran out like two months ago and I never bothered to replace it, and my lotus has suffered.
The entire left side in general is annoying me, plant's arn't growing in how I imagined, I realized I made some placement errors, and I think it might be time for a rescape soon. I'll probably fish the fish out and just pull up almost everything.
Oh, and my oto died, I went on vacation for a week, and my family didn't bother to top off the tank, I got back and the water line was 3" lower than normal, yeah.

The black background is back too (say that one three times fast), aaanndd, it promptly got covered in algae. The front too, it's plauged with some sort of weird dark green GSA that I can't wipe off. strange.

so overall, it's a mess.

SPEAKING OF MESSES, check out my horribly unlevel 5.5 gallon :D

You know the hilarious part? it's not even the stand that's unlevel, it's the entire house. I'm going to move this eventually to a more level house stand, but for now, fingers crossed.

Anyway, I had this tank growing emersed forever 4 or 5 months, and it finally got to the point where the plants just stopped growing and started melting. So I filled it up, and it's just been running like this now. the HM loves it. the glosso though, it hates me, only one plant in the entire forground even seems like it wants to carpet, the rest of it is just growing up, up, and away.

I need some trimming scissors, and another co2 reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode