Frustrated... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Frustrated...

I am finding myself a little discouraged. I have put a lot of time and money into trying to do a planted tank.
I have a 5 gal tank with a betta (I had 3 ghost shrimps but all three literally died the same night after being in the tank for weeks, this was right after I started using a CO2 booster) i put 2 root tabs in the tank, and I have an azoo flex mini planted + that has been on the tank for over a week with no noticeable changes to my plants. I saw a time lapse video of a tank with this light and after 4 days the plants almost doubled in size.
Am I just not being patient enough or am I doing something wrong?

I also wanted to take back the root tabs I purchased and exchange it for a liquid plant fertilizer, the tabs made a mess in my tank and turned my water brown. But I just covered what was left in the tank with sand. Do I have to completely clean out the rest of the root tabs that is left in my tank or can I just start adding the liquid in on top of the left over root tabs?

I obviously don't want to hurt my betta, is it safe for him to have all these chemicals in the tank? (CO2 booster and liquid plant fert)
Thanks in advance!
-Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:20 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Did you push the root tabs down into the substrate? That is how they work. I would also assume that this time lapsed video is with a CO2 injected system. It also depends on what the plants were. What type of plants do you have? Are they stem plants like Hygrophila, Ludwigia, Bacopa, Rotala etc. Or, are they rosette plants like Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus, Valisneria(long leaves that come up from a central point with roots below)? Or, do you have rhizome plants like ferns and anubias? Root tabs help for stem plants but, a liquid fertilizer would be a better option because most stem plants obtain nutrients directly from the water column. For rosette plants root tabs will be the best option as they go below the surface of the substrate where the plant's roots will have access to them. Again for rhizome plants a liquid fertilizer will be your best option as they attach to things like rocks, gravel and wood and obtain nutrients primarily through the water column.

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Agree with the person above me about which ferts help what kind of plants. Root tabs should not make the water murky if your stuff them deep in the substrate where they are suppose to go (do not work for tanks with under gravel filters).

aACO2 system is very different from co2 supplement (liquid) like Seachem Excel. Some plants won't grow like weeks even with CO2 such as ferns and anubias (naturally slow growers).

What DO you have for both PLANTS and LIGHTING, be detailed, for lights include what type, what kelvin (k) reading, how long its on ans how far it is from the substrate.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 02:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Until you decide what to do a 50% waterchange vacuuming the top of your sand will help a lot if you are worried about the "melted" root tabs. As previously mention CO2 boosters are not liquid CO2. They are an alternative carbon source. In actuality using liquid carbon makes your plants work harder(use other nutrients in greater amounts) to grow better than injecting CO2. I'm not saying don't use it - simply an FYI. Depending on the plants you have you may want to use both tabs and column dosing(liquid ferts).

Stock lightly and carry a big filter. - I don't have aquariums. I have ecosystems in a glass box. - Hygrophilaholic and hoarder of Anubias.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:39 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for the feedback! I'm still really new at all this, I thought the CO2 booster was the same as adding in CO2...
I have an Amazon sword, an Anubis, dwarf hair grass and an telanthera cardinalis. I will have to check the specs on the lighting I have in there when I get home from work.

I have sand, and I dug a hole clear down to the glass before I put the root tab in, and then covered it under about 2 in of sand...I'm not sure how I screwed it up lol
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's the specs about my light:

Lumen output- 450lm
8W

I have about 2 in of sand, the light sits about an inch off the glass and my tank is 9.5 in H.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 04:55 AM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I agree, pressurized CO2 makes a huge difference. Whatever you do, don't give up! Planted tanks have a huge learning curve! There will be lots of ups and downs. Spend some time on this forum and Google and you WILL find your answers. Trust me, I've done it, and am continuing to do it!

|
|

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 05:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you kep! I won't give up on this tank lol. Although it is driving me crazy, I just want it to look awesome like all the tanks I see on here! I have worked at PetSmart for 7 years and I have never known anything about live plants. So I'm determined to figure this out so I can help the customers who come in ha

Who anyone be able to link me to the pressurized CO2 or the injections I would need to get for a 5 gallon tank? I googled it and all I can find is pressurized for 20 gallon tanks or larger. And then I found diffusers...and these glass looking things lol. Not sure which one would do the job right. I just want to make sure I do it right!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 05:47 AM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

Depends on your budget really. A good pressurized setup will probably run you $300 or more, but you can get a Fluval CO2 kit on Amazon for around $80. Only thing is there is no automation so you have to turn it on and off every day and stay on schedule. They have refill canisters for the Fluval kit that are off brand and work just as well on Amazon too I believe. Depending on which way you want to go we can get you some links to get you pointed in the right direction.

|
|

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just like anyone else I would love to go as cheap as possible...but I also don't want something so cheap it doesn't work the way it needs to.

I found this kit on Amazon...it says for 20 gallons but would I be able to use it for a 5?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049R...57MEWME4SHJHJ6

And then I was reading about a bubble counter, diffuser, is that all additional things I'd have to buy?
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 AM
Algae Grower

That kit is not rated for 20 gallons. The CO2 cartridges are 20 GRAMS. The kit will work well for a 5 gallon tank but you'll probably end up spending more money on buying new cartridges in the long run than just going with a 5 lb CO2 tank. The kit may be a good place to start though since spending $200-$300 may be intimidating.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:05 PM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

The kit I mentioned is the same thing as that but it's the 88g kit. Basically the same thing but with bigger cartridges. It is more expensive but 20g versus 88g cartridges is a big difference. Each one will probably last a week or two with the 88g kit. It comes with the diffuser and bubble counter and everything you'll need.

|
|

post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 12:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

If you are wanting to inject CO2 then you will also want to look into EI dosing. Look through the sticky threads at the top of the Fertilizer forum. Sounds like you are getting things figured out! Just remember we're here to help so, don't be scared to ask questions. Hope you get to love your planted tank like the rest of us!

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thank you all for your help! I was going to do DIY CO2 but the guy at the store talked me out of it ha. So I picked this up instead. Definitely didn't want to spend so much money but I just want to do this right. So I splurged ha. Do you guys think this is a decent one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1432244433500.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	476337  

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battmanh View Post
That kit is not rated for 20 gallons. The CO2 cartridges are 20 GRAMS. The kit will work well for a 5 gallon tank but you'll probably end up spending more money on buying new cartridges in the long run than just going with a 5 lb CO2 tank. The kit may be a good place to start though since spending $200-$300 may be intimidating.
I run the Fluval 20 gm CO2 kit on my 5G, and my first 20 gm cartridge lasted over 8 weeks when filling the bell once a day. It would be super-expensive if I bought Fluval-branded cartridges at 3 for $20, so instead I buy 16 gm bike tire CO2 inflator cartridges for less than $2 a pop. That is about $16 worth of CO2 a year.

It only takes the CO2 up to about 15 ppm for about 10 hours based on the pH drop, so I also use Flourish Excel for additional carbon plus algae control; a year's supply is about $10.

All things considered, this is a LOT cheaper than going pressurised for such a small tank, and also much more stable/safe given the small water volume.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode