DIY CO2 with glass and ceramic disk diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
DIY CO2 with glass and ceramic disk diffuser

im using the glass diffuser (with the white disk). and it starts working later then the bubble ladder, and ends sooner. im guessing its because of the extra pressure it needs. so here is the question:
how often do you change your CO2?
and is a 1 liter bottle enought for ~7 gallons (and ADA 30C)?

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
im using the glass diffuser (with the white disk). and it starts working later then the bubble ladder, and ends sooner. im guessing its because of the extra pressure it needs. so here is the question:
how often do you change your CO2?
and is a 1 liter bottle enought for ~7 gallons (and ADA 30C)?
the brew i made last week is still bubbling strong until now. 8 days and its still going. i think it really depends on how you have formulated your mix.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:41 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I change my CO2's about every three weeks. Sometimes I go a bit longer if the weather's cooler and the yeast is less active.
As for if it's enough for your 30-C, it depends on the light you're pouring onto it. If you're going close to twenty-eight watts with a non-spiral CF, I'd recommend two DIY setups.
If you're lower than that, you should be okay.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
im going 27watts with a quad bulb (like a PC that has 2 tubes, but its has 4), so you are saying i should have 2 liters? or do you mean to totally seperate systems with 2 diffusers as well?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

I use 2 powerade bottles to run my glass diffuser. 1/4 teaspoon of yeast and a little less than half a cup of sugar in each one. lasts about 2 weeks near the end the bubbles slow down a bit but if you give it a shake it will start going again.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
I change my CO2's about every three weeks. Sometimes I go a bit longer if the weather's cooler and the yeast is less active.
How much yeast do you use? I get nowhere near that, and frankly I'm jealous.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I use a quarter teaspoon of yeast and a teaspoon of baking soda, Reg. Please keep a couple of things in mind before you get jealous, however. One, my house is hella cold. In the warmer months, the yeast does expire much more quickly. Two, I don't measure CO2 levels with an indicator. CO2 levels could drop significantly after two weeks for all I know. I simply use pearling and plant growth as indicators of CO2 saturation. And, three, sometimes a glass diffuser can clog even without visible signs of clogging and a quick bleach dip can yield a week or two of additional CO2.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use a half teaspoon, two cups of sugar, and a teaspoon of baking soda. I get maybe 7-10 days at around 1 bps. That is on a 24 inch deep tank. I don't use a glass diffuser (a wood-stone), but I feel like it needs a good amount of pressure to get through two feet of water. According to the PH, I am getting up around 30ppm. That is pretty good for me, but it is not a super high light tank. Sorry I didn't say that earlier, I was overcome. UG, I hear what you're saying. I think that I am still jealous though.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode