Fluval chi 5 gallon Ligh selection - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-18-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Fluval chi 5 gallon Ligh selection

Hi guys. after my 100g i'm going for my 5g fluval chi. I really need some help picking out the light. i think i'll try a carpet maybe hairgrass or babytear. a few java fern/crypt/ dwarf sag. maybe a a DW with some kind of moss. a few small rock.

filter will be some sort of HOB
co2 will be either dosing excel or DYI co2 with ferts (iron/potassium/root tab)
lightly stock with couple of small fish ( haven't decided)

I have narrow it down to the finnex planted+12 or the finnex planted+ clip on. will the 12 be overkill? the price aren't much different. will the 12 give me algae problem? and what kind of light will these give ? med or high? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 04:18 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I have a Finnex Fugeray 10" on my Chi 5 gallon and it's doing great. It grows java fern, anubias, and java moss like a boss. Note, it is too much light for such plants so I took some window screen and taped it to the light. You might be able to carpet with it but I don't have any experience with such. The java moss is dense and not leggy if that helps.

You could probably go with a 12 inch but you might have some light bar beyond the edges of the tank. If you get the top to this tank you'll have to do some cut outs for the light feet and for a hob filter. I used a dremel and a cutting wheel and it worked great albeit not pretty.

As for the HOB I used two Azoo Palms from Dr. Foster and Smith and they worked well. I replaced it with a Finnex PX 360 Canister filter. It's way too much flow for a Betta but my guppies love it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
finnex planted+, fluval chi

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode