Elite Mini Underwater Filter? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Elite Mini Underwater Filter?

I was advised to use this for the 2.5 nano I'm setting up. Have any of you used this filter before? Could I bury it, or does it have to sit on the wall? If I don't use this filter, I'm planning on using an AC20, which I already own, because I'd prefer to have as little in the tank as possible. If I can bury the Elite mini, awesome, if not I'll just stick with the AC20, because the only thing that would need to be in the tank in this case would be the intake tube for the filter. Thanks for the help and suggestions guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Bury it? Bury it where?

Are you going to inject CO2? If not, my vote is for the AC20.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Can't bury it, gotta be on the wall. IME it builds up gunk way too fast and clouds up the water. Its great in bigger tanks as a method of CO2 Diffusion though!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol the elite mini is a great filter, and doubles as both CO2 reactor, and a filter for me.

It's small so can be hidden relatively easy, and very versatile.

||
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayen View Post
Lol the elite mini is a great filter, and doubles as both CO2 reactor, and a filter for me.

It's small so can be hidden relatively easy, and very versatile.
In your 7.5g? I'm sure it works quite well in a bigger tank, but in a 2.5g you have to have the flow set all the way down if you have any newly planted carpet plants, or any plant that isn't rooted really. If you look at the pics in my 2.5 rimless journal, you can see the difference between when I had the Mini Elite and the Red Sea Nano. I will say that having the Mini in my 12g along with the main filter on that tank is most likely the reason that my water in there is as clear as its been lately. But for a 2.5 I just think it takes up too much room (personal opinion) and unless you have a dark background sticks out wayy too much.
I'd take a look at prototyp3's 2.5g though if you want to find some ways to incorporate it, as that tank looks really good and is making use of the filter (Mini) quite well.

|

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually it's in my 2.5g right now, my 7.2g has no water ;D , unless you're referring to my friend's which is supllmented by another tank.
Anyways he/she can always hide it behind their planned tree.
But i agree it sticks out a considerable amount especially against a white background.
Also if there's too much flow you can always take a knife or something and trim the impellers.

||
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Are you going to inject CO2?
That's waaaay too much CO2 for a 2.5 gallon tank

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrrramos View Post
Can't bury it, gotta be on the wall. IME it builds up gunk way too fast and clouds up the water. Its great in bigger tanks as a method of CO2 Diffusion though!
I have used both and in my experience the AC20 builds up gunk a lot faster than the mini. Also, if you plan to use the AC20 and keep cherry shrimp, you will have to stick a sponge on the strainer to keep the shrimp from getting sucked into the filter and possibly chopped up by the impeller. And if place a sponge over the strainer it will stick out like a sore thumb in your tank. As far as the cloudiness issue, I take a small pantyhose "footlet" fill it up with about a 1/4 teaspoon of Seachem Purigan granules and use it as media in the mini. There is room for both the pantyhose and the stock sponge. Water stays crystal clear this way. And the minis are rated for tanks "up to" 3 gallons, so they are not overkill for anything 3 gallon or less, at least in my experience.

Check the 3 gallon in my signature. I use it in that tank, no issues. As far as it sticking out, it is easily to conceal with a floating plant like cardamine lyrata.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yah, I suppose you do hide it well homer, although I'm planning on making a very minimalistic tank, something along the lines of an Iwagumi, but not quite, because I'm planing on incorporating a chunk of wood as well. I think I'll just stick w/ the ac20. and put something over it, so the shrimp, which I think I will put into the tank, doesn't get sucked in.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicfish View Post
Bury it? Bury it where?

Are you going to inject CO2? If not, my vote is for the AC20.
and no, I'm not going to inject co2.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode