Ideas from the panel sought for this tank... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Ideas from the panel sought for this tank...

Nano-nano!

Had someone make this for me last year, 1/2" acrylic, ~48"x9"x9" externally. At only about 15 gallons, I think it still qualifies for this section. Was going to do a reef in it, but decided to go planted as I have no time as it is (also have an ADA 30C empty...oy) and temperature is an issue.
How would you swing with this? At only 8.5" water depth after accounting for the 1/2" base, we're looking at a pretty low tank after substrate is added (wouldn't have needed any for the original reef idea).
It's on those brackets temporarily to experiment with height/position, will finalize later. I do like the wall-mount idea, and sturdier brackets/lag bolts/shelf across 3 studs should work for 15 gallons I'd think.

Thanks for looking!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks like a decently nice depth, what are you going to do for equipment?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Do a very low/long iwagumi, since I don't think you have the room for stem plants. or maybe some kind of very long driftwood arrangements. (shameless self plug: I have some 36"+ manzanita branches that might look really cool)

Can I just mention though that I am crazy jealous of this tank? I was thinking about making a custom acrylic with those dimensions. I can't wait to see what you'll do.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I think you should box it up and send it to me... Oh the possibilities I see.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I think you should first get a base on that thing, it looks like it's sitting on the supports directly, and that's not safe, put a board of plywood or mdf under that thing

Second, How are you planning to hide the equipment?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
That thing is awesome!

It looks so much like a planter you see on the outside of windows of houses a lot nicer than mine.

I would exploit this similarity by having a carpet of whatever floats your boat and stems breaching through the surface to have it look like a planter. Wall fixture light sources would allow for the open top. You can even employ the riparium techniques that people are talking about. (Of which I haven't the foggiest notion of how it's different from a Paludarium.)

Can't wait to see what you come up with!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
That tank looks so cool. It's perfect for a long Iwagumi.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
hmm... Well for heating you can always use a Reptile heating pad to go underneath the tank!

For filtration maybe you should drill into the bottom of the tank instead of having lily pipes on the side that might take away from the look of it. Also How much did it cost to make something like this?

Let us know how this turns out as this tank looks awesome!!!

The Pimp-em Club
Straight pimpin' since 2009
- ADA Mini-M Pimp #7 -

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:45 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
did you get that tank from this guy?
http://www.gulfaquaria.com/ecot5fimi14.html
I love the beveled edges too

-Chris

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for all the great comments, folks! You all have me more enthusiastic than I'd been able to muster solo.

Kayen: Not sure, but it'll likely include an Eheim as I've had a few over the years, pressurized Co2, and all the ADA/Swarovski trinkets I can fit.

Dollface/Francis: I think the height does lend itself to that type of setup, although the proportions are certainly not golden. Still, if no one tells, I think it might work.

Graig: C'mon, share bro'. You'll feel all warm inside. I have no doubt the tank would turn out better if I took you up on your kind...offer, but I've been promising my daughter I'd put fishies in this thing for the longest (that's real dust you see in that tank), so fishies we're getting, dammit.

Haagenize: As mentioned in the OP, that's temporary and I'll be going to sturdier brackets and a shelf. As for hiding the equipment, I'll be using a cloaking device, but I've yet to see what the electric bill will look like so I don't know how viable a solution that'll be long term. Of course, such a device makes stuff even more susceptible to getting knocked over (don't ask!), so nothing's final. I do plan on extending the tank shelf another foot or so past the tank on the right side for equipment. Have to move some geetars in that case.

UG: I love that idea, and have always wanted to try big, emmersed growth. I wonder, though, if that would be compatible with a lush carpet given the limited front-back depth, Still, I'd take a combo of low-light submerged growth with some impressive stems sticking out. Couple hanging pendants for light.

Thief: As is my wont, I neglected to take advantage of having the tank drilled w/ overflow when it was being built ("planning ahead", its practitioners call it). As I recall it was about $200 shipped, which is not too bad here in ADA territory.

clwatkins: Didn't get it from there, although I'm reticent to say where since I probably wouldn't use him again. Workmanship's fine (and the edges are nice), but lack of communication once someone has my money is frustrating and inexcusable in a present filled with instant, effortless messaging in many forms.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to suebe333
That is too cool ,, cant wait to see what you do ,, I like the Ugly genious's idea

45G long - Planted- Guppies,cory's,Panda Gara
20G high -brigs,Gouramis,cory's

-
planted;RCS, albino cory's,& albino bushynose plecos
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 03:13 AM
Algae Grower

Yeah, Ug's idea's great!
I also like the long iwagumi idea, it's also cool.
To UG, I think paludariums have a land structure (stones, driftwood, bark, resin...) on which the plants are planted, so not all the tank's bottom is "usable" for the aquatic part.
The riparium uses hanging planters hidden by plant growth so the underwater part's area is that of the tank itself, there isn't any land structure...At least that's how I see it.
Jack Gilvey, I believe microdevarios (ex-microrasboras), boraras or celestial pearl danios or any other super small cyprinid woul look amazing in a large shoal, with all that tank lenght.
As for the aquascape, another cool idea would be a glosso lawn, hairgrass in the back and long narrow driftwood covered with needle leaf Java fern.
Good scaping!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, ClPat! Definitely thinking in the microrasbora/borora vien for this one, single species tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Microrasbora kubotai and nana! Nana is just a smaller version of kubotai, they're so pretty.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 12:20 PM
Algae Grower

I'll second Dollface, kubotais look great!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode