Silly question? Nano fish and filters. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Silly question? Nano fish and filters.

I'm brand new to this. I've got a 5G set up and cycling now and I've spent the last week reading up on every possible fish I can potentially stock, as well as haunting the isles of my LFS.

Neon blue rasboras seem likely to be one of my choices for the tank, but they are so darn tiny I was wondering if they - or other small fish - ever get sucked into filters?

Mine has the usual plastic covering on it, but the gaps are probably large enough for a tiny fish to fit through.

Is that not an issue if they're healthy and swimming around?

Thanks for humoring the newcomer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 06:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

That's actually a valid concern. Even with a fairly weak filter, an unwary or sleeping fish can get stuck or sucked in. Mesh over the filter inlet will fix that, but you have to clean it now and then.
Be sure to put plenty of plants in the tank, even if it's just a bunch of Java moss. It grows tiny buggies for the fish to eat, keeps the water cleaner, provides hiding places, and also looks pretty good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Algae Grower

One morning I woke up and noticed a bloodfin was missing. I looked everywhere, until I saw it wrapped on the intake of the second tube in my AC 70. Lucky I had the second intake tube on. He was injured, but sure enough survived and returned to normal. I just tied some mesh around it, and only had to clean it once a week. You typically shouldn't have to worry about it, but as Betta said, a sleeping fish wouldn't be able to realize it in time.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow, thanks. I guess I'll put a cover on the filter. What do you suggest - cheese cloth, pantyhose, etc?

As for plants, I have two Anubias, a Java fern, Java moss, Crypt Parva and Wendtti green. Trying to be patient while it all grows in, but I may add some additional plants to the back of the tank. Not only do I like a lush look, but I want the fish to have plenty of hiding spaces and I want all the help I can get with water quality.

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:08 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I like to slip a sponge prefilter over the intake. Easy to clean, just slip it off and rinse either in the water change bucket or under running tap water. I find that mesh whether cloth, nylon, plastic, or stainless steel get clogged pretty fast and need to be cleaned far more frequently than a sponge prefilter.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-
-

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
If you haven't purchased the fish already, seriously consider doing shrimp only instead. They're actually awesome to watch, and there are some really cool color variations you can get too. And they fit with a tank that small better. Less bioload which means less of a chance a small tank gets dirty and has problems with water chemistry/quality. The simpler and more appropriate the better....just my opinion.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode