New low tech 6 gal semi hex set up. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New low tech 6 gal semi hex set up.

Hi guys! I'm a new member but long time lurker!
I was hoping to get some advice.

I have a 6 gal semi hex that I would like to set up. Heavily planted, low tech, preferably low maintenance. Inhabitants will most likely be a single betta with possibly a dwarf African frog if I decide to risk it. Or a few fancy guppies.

I already have 2 other tanks so I'm hoping to cut costs by using leftovers from the other tanks.

I did already order a new airpump and sponge filter, submersible thermostat control 50 watt heater. And thermometer.

For left overs

I have left over pool filter sand substrate, or Walmart special gravel I had taken out of the other tanks to replace with the sand.. And small ceramic logs I'm not particularly attached to.

Things my other two tanks could "share" with me.

MTS and lots of them, small ramshorn snails and lots of them, Nerite snails as well as Briggs/mystery snails. ( yeah I love snails)

Several plants like java fern which is budding new baby ferns like crazy, and java moss,
I have 2 types of red ludwiga, and some other stem plants my husband brought home from the shop I can't identify. I also have bananna plants and finally amazon swords and red Rubin that aren't budding yet but I assume would be too big anyway??

I would love some advice or recommendations on how to set this up.

Has to stay low tech, tank will have to get some early morning sunlight, and while I want to keep cost as low as possible I'm not adverse to some new purchases.

One more thing... My larger 55 with the bulk of my plants is currently battling a beard algae outbreak, I am slowly winning and see it decreasing but, can I dip my baby ferns from that tank and they survive the process without transferring the nasties to the nano tank?

Thank you for any advice, I'm super new to planted tanks so keep in mind I don't know much about bottom layers or ferts yet etc...

A step by step would be awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No one has any suggestions on what plants would work here?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2015, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hi and welcome to the forum

Will you be putting a light on the tank? or will it just be from the window?

For my low-tech tank, I have lots of anubias and crypts which are doing well with minimal effort.

Do you use any type of ferts now? As far as substrate, I only used sand twice when I had several nano tanks; the Amazon Swords did very well with root tabs . Then, I discovered Eco-Complete and am quite pleased with it.

The Dueling 20's Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2015, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply

The tank is this one, the aqua culture from Walmart, it has built in LEDs but other than that I'm sorry I'm still too new to know any specifics on lighting. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Cultu...-Pets/37210187

For the plants in my other tanks I've just been using the pool filter sand with root tab fertilizers. They have done pretty well from what I can tell but again I'm too inexperienced with plants to really be judge of that.

I mainly need to know if I need to buy different substrate, and if I need to buy more plants or will what I have work. If I do need to buy more what ones?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode