2g bubble wall tank! first nano tank! how exciting.. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking 2g bubble wall tank! first nano tank! how exciting..

I few months ago i stumbled across a wall hanging 'betta bowl' and i thought it was quite pretty and pretty ingenious for space saving! I really like the fact that it is hung on the wall.
The first one i bought was a 1 gallon bubble tank in which i had a java fern, some free floating moss (i cant tell if its peacock or java moss!), 5 cherry red shrimps and 2 little snails that hitched a ride on the java fern.
It took alot of research and hunting around to find a suitable heater and bubbler... everywhere has HUGE ones for much bigger tanks!
and forget trying to find a small filter that would fit this thing...

Due to disaster... 4 of my shrimps died.

Since then i have found a 2 gallon wall bubble tank!
it currently has 2 marimo moss balls, free floating moss, duckweed floating on top, java fern, dark substrate (to better see the shrimp!), 2 small brown ramshorn snails, 1 red ramshorn snail and my one cherry red shrimp.
There is the bubbler in the back and a mini hydor heater in the gravel buried under the moss balls. I glued the wires to the side using a hot glue gun to make it look 'tidy'
and i have a small sponge filter coming in the mail which i will install.
My shrimp looks quite happy! swimming everywhere.. eating everything!

This is the first time i have ever kept a planted tank, shrimp or snails! its a bit trial and error, but im enjoying this immensley.

i plan on finding some hardwood driftwood either in a bridge or tree shape to make a moss covered piece.
i also plan on getting a few more shrimps and hopefully a blue ramshorn snail!

Here are some pictures of my first 1 gallon tank, and the 2nd 2 gallon tank!

the first bubble tank is the 1 gallon and the rest are from my 2 gallon.
i'll post updates as i make it look nicer!!!
any comments or suggestions are welcome!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1gshrimptank.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	13266  

Name:	2gshrimptank.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	13267  

Name:	2gshrimpsnail.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	13268  

Name:	2gsnailmarimo.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	13269  

Last edited by mithrius; 04-29-2009 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (27/100%)
very cool tanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have slain all of the Dragons! You owe me!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Dude, those tanks are so cool, just make sure it's attached to the wall really secure, because evidently they're prone to falling down. 0_0

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Cool idea for a tank. Perfect for a small area where you can't put it on your desk or something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks!
does anyone use a co2 diffuser in their nano tanks?
i am thinking about getting one..
i would like to add some more plants in there to make it look nice but im not sure if this wouldb benefit it because i have the bubbler.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

heres an update! I went and bought a piece of sandblasted wood from big als and had my boyfriend cut it to the peices i needed.
i was so excited with my find! after seeing boltp777's nano tank, i was totally inspired

i am planning on attaching some christmass moss to the upper branches, and maybe have it hang out of the water too? i dont know if this will work, does anyone know if xmas moss will be ok like that?
i imagine it will always be soggy, because it will be in contact with the water and constanty drawing water up thro the little fronds...

so here it is so far!! what do u think of placement? i tried a few, and thought this looked best... the 2nd pic is my 2nd choice, only because the 'knot' in the wood is facing the other way.. but i think it also looks nice...!!
ps: ignore the bubblestone... >.<
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P4290378.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	13287  

Name:	P4290365.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	13288  

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 10:47 PM

I think this is lovely! I like the first pic too - it looks like a little woodland scene.

AFAIK, any true aquatic plant will dry up and die pretty quickly if out of water. I'm assuming the Xmas moss is one of those, but I could be wrong.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
That really is neat! If you could hang it on the other side of a closet wall then you wouldn't have the air tubing going down the side. Kinda defeats the "hanging in mid air" theme.

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Planted Member

I'm not sure Xmas moss will do that, but java moss certainly will, as will Riccia, as long as you keep it wet. So I'd assume Xmas moss will do the same. I've had terrariums where the entire bottom was a carpet of java moss, and I've seen the same done with Riccia.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

good to know! im hoping it works.. if not it can just be bare at the top i guess.
maybe i'll make a carpet of moss instead of the hc.. it might be more porportionate
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (57/100%)
very cool! you should get some really little slate chips, tie some moss to them, and make the moss carpet fill in between the chips. that'd be pretty cool.

also, change the water often for a while so the wood doesnt leech tannins into the water (the stuff that makes the water that tea-like color), and eventually the wood will sotp making the water darker.

Wilson

- As of 8/10, gone nano-reef!

, last updated 1/14
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by demosthenes View Post
very cool! you should get some really little slate chips, tie some moss to them, and make the moss carpet fill in between the chips. that'd be pretty cool.

also, change the water often for a while so the wood doesnt leech tannins into the water (the stuff that makes the water that tea-like color), and eventually the wood will sotp making the water darker.
ya, tis starting to yellow it, but i read its not toxic or anything, so im not too worried if its yellowish for a few weeks while i do water changes.

also, could u explain that slate chips thing?? ive been thinking of putting hc as the ground cover, but while i lay in bed last night, i thought a moss carpet would look more porportionate!
but i had read it was very difficult to do a moss ground cover, but your slate chips idea sounds good!
if i tied them to the slate chips and just placed them around, would they fill in between as well? and what kind of moss would be best for this?

thanks! awsome idea!!!
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-30-2009, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Gal View Post
That really is neat! If you could hang it on the other side of a closet wall then you wouldn't have the air tubing going down the side. Kinda defeats the "hanging in mid air" theme.
unfortunately, the only space on my walls in that room is right beside my desk.. hahaha
i have bookshelves full of STUFF everywhere!
but that would have been a great idea...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-01-2009, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (21/96%)
Send a message via AIM to boltp777
awesome idea! love the tank

42 gallon hex journal coming soon
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

jul 23 update

thought i'd update on my little nano tank! since last posting, i recievd my teeny tiny sponge filter specially made for small bowls and such
i also got 5 little merah rasboras
and my little pink ramshorn snail population kind of got out of control.
it started with just ONE snail... which apparantly was already carrying eggs.
and from there, i have most likely close to a hundred snails now!!!
i also started off with just two teeny tiny brown flat ramshorns.. and now i have quite a few everywhere. they are harder to track because they stay so tiny!
i also still had a few shrimp in there, but they havnt been berrying, much to my relief, but the oens that were berried originally had their babies and a few survived. i see tiny little guys here and there every once in a while..
yes yes.. the tank is a bit over stocked.
ive been keeping up on water changes as best i can and havnt had any losses yet!

my java mos is slowly dying.. its turning black in spots and then slowly dying off. but its still producing many little new sprouts!
which are being eaten by the snails..

all in all, its a busy little tank, but it keeps me entertained as i work from home 4 days a week!

here is a picture of my tank when i first attached the christmas moss to the drift wood.
at that time i had java moss floating around so the shrimp had somethign to play in

then after the xmas moss filled out (quite quickly!) i took all the java moss out and cut back the java fern.

i love the way the tree turned out, but im at a loss for the java fern. i thought it was quite a nice thing on the side, but the snails keep eating it, or it keeps dying off and producing ugly new leaves with black spots...! is there a reason for this, something i can do to fix it?
any suggestings on something else i can add in there for a different plant?
i usually direct the light away from the tank now, as it heats the tank too much and its summer now. so its pretty much a low light tank now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode