Planted Chi - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Planted Chi

Hello all,

As you can see by my post count, I am new here.
Not only that, I am fairly new to the planted aquarium scene as well. So, here is my first planted tank. I am thinking of making it my shrimp tank.

As you can tell, I'm also attempting to dry start as well.
Tank: Fluval Chi 5g (10x10x12h)
Filter: Thinking of running with a sponge filter
Lighting: Finnex FugeRay Planted+
Substrate: SeaChem Florite Black Sand, Special Kitty, some micro pebble substrate to cover.
Fertilization: SeaChem Florite Black Sand, SeaChem Flourish
Flora: Cyperus Helferi, Hemianthus Callitrichoides

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
Welcome to the group! I see you are off to a great start! As this is your first attempt at planted tanks, what made you decide to start with HC? What are your filtration options? You mentioned a sponge, this would be recommended by most shrimp keepers. I'm excited to see your process, and will be happy to answer any questions you might have about the area stores and where to avoid! Best of luck on your DSM tank!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlyons01 View Post
Welcome to the group! I see you are off to a great start! As this is your first attempt at planted tanks, what made you decide to start with HC? What are your filtration options? You mentioned a sponge, this would be recommended by most shrimp keepers. I'm excited to see your process, and will be happy to answer any questions you might have about the area stores and where to avoid! Best of luck on your DSM tank!!!
My decision on the HC came from googled images of planted tanks and I love the way it looks when it is carpeted. Complete uninformed decession.

The sponge filter I decided on will be the Hydro - Sponge PRO II

The local area seems to be poorly covered by businesses..
I've been going all the way to the Aquatic Critter for my aquarium needs. Petco if it is some common piece of equipment.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

so you must not be new to the area? If you have found the critter, then I would say not. Good choice for livestock, however, they have less than satisfactory acclimation process for their new stock. Be sure you QT your livestock for a good few weeks before introducing them into your main tanks. If you have patience, much of my equipment I purchase through kensfishdotcom. It's decent shipping costs or even free if you spend a certain amount. You can load up on products at the same time!! Great customer service too. You should certainly avoid J and M. I worked there for about 9 months, they are locally owned and that is great, but I think the owner has lost interest in his fish dept. They are good for making deals though, he is a decent guy..

I wondered about the HC simply because it is challenging. You dove in head first! Just don't get discouraged...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

New to the area? Yes and no.
My physical address has been in Clarksville since 2012, but the circumstances of my employ kept me out of the US until recently.

On the subject of the AQ.. we bought 12 Harlequin Raspboras and lost all but 4 because of a fungus they had when we bought them. I really need to set up a QT.

I had to, well.. didn't have to.. but moved the HC from my main tank to the Chi because it just wouldn't take hold due to several issues.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
so you must not be new to the area? If you have found the critter, then I would say not. Good choice for livestock, however, they have less than satisfactory acclimation process for their new stock. Be sure you QT your livestock for a good few weeks before introducing them into your main tanks. If you have patience, much of my equipment I purchase through kensfishdotcom. It's decent shipping costs or even free if you spend a certain amount. You can load up on products at the same time!! Great customer service too. You should certainly avoid J and M. I worked there for about 9 months, they are locally owned and that is great, but I think the owner has lost interest in his fish dept. They are good for making deals though, he is a decent guy..

I wondered about the HC simply because it is challenging. You dove in head first! Just don't get discouraged...
What kind of water do you use for your shrimp?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well, I have cherry in my 75 gallon and I do not do anything special for them, but I am planning to order some tangerine tigers soon. It really depends on what your water parameters, they won't always be the same even in the same city. I do keep on hand RO water that I purchase at Publix. The machine near the exit door is only 30 cents for a gallon. I have been spending a lot of time deciding which shrimp would be best for my water, and I am still sort of iffy, but I think the tigers have needs close to my water parameters
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Well, I have cherry in my 75 gallon and I do not do anything special for them, but I am planning to order some tangerine tigers soon. It really depends on what your water parameters, they won't always be the same even in the same city. I do keep on hand RO water that I purchase at Publix. The machine near the exit door is only 30 cents for a gallon. I have been spending a lot of time deciding which shrimp would be best for my water, and I am still sort of iffy, but I think the tigers have needs close to my water parameters
Hmm.. Publix is a great idea! I wouldn't have thought about that. I was thinking about reclaimed rainwater and RO.

Which parameters should I be concerned about with my tap water? pH, kH?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yes you would want to look at your water's PH, KY and GH, as well as invest in a TDS meter. All of this would be dependent on what type of shrimp you are looking at.. Neocaridina or Caridina, Sulawesi? If you are thinking to have RO water to use you can buy products to dial in on the specific species you are looking at, so that shouldn't be a super huge deal. Some of them can be pretty sensitive though, and all would need to be in a mature tank from the get go. Check out some of the profiles on the varieties out there at planetinverts dot com
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yes you would want to look at your water's PH, KY and GH, as well as invest in a TDS meter. All of this would be dependent on what type of shrimp you are looking at.. Neocaridina or Caridina, Sulawesi? If you are thinking to have RO water to use you can buy products to dial in on the specific species you are looking at, so that shouldn't be a super huge deal. Some of them can be pretty sensitive though, and all would need to be in a mature tank from the get go. Check out some of the profiles on the varieties out there at planetinverts dot com
I will definitely start with the easy spectrum of inverts. I'd like to end up with a handful of Carbon Rili Shrimp. They're quite possibly my favorite.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode