ADA Mini L: Iwagumi X-2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
ADA Mini L: Iwagumi X-2

I have a love - hate relationship with Shou stone. This stone is really easy and incredibly difficult to work with all at the same time. It sits there and screams at you to use it in an aquascape and you look at it's color's and textures and character and go "sure man, I'll totally use you in an aquascape." So then you realize that to use it in an aquascape you have to invest in another setup, because well, your stuff in your other tanks has grown in, and you can't possibly displace those stones because you like those stones too much too.

Of course, once you get everything finally ready, and start messing around with the layout of the Shou stone, you realize that half of your pieces are just near useless because Shou stone comes in one shape: flat. So naturally you end up racking your brain on creating illusions to get rid of the flatness. Of course the rock doesn't want to cooperate with breaking in a nice fashion, and just chisels away like slate. So you're stuck with flat stones that form pillars. Awesome. Fan-expletive deleted-TASTIC. So then you think "well I have excess Seiryu stone that could be used just as easy and then that little voice in your head is like "no way man, you've totally already used Seiryu stone and you'd be bored...plus the whole point of this project was to use Shou stone!"

This describes the nature of my love-hate relationship with Shou stone.

So then you have a list of plants you want to use in your setup but as each layout evolves and is tossed and is re-organized and fine tuned you end up marking off more and more plants from that list since well, they just don't fit your layout. The layout just goes "yeah, nope, sorry, you'll completely destroy my effect if you do that." I also have to add Shou stone is horrible to try to mix with driftwood. My advice is to not try it.

My idea for plants so far is a mixed carpet of some sort. Hair Grass is a definite as it's texture seems to flow well with the nature of Shou stone, and most probably HC. I originally wanted to mix Glosso and riccia somewhere, but that probably isn't going to work too well. And UG's texture probably will work too. Most definitely I'm thinking about micro chain sword and narrow chain sword as well, though those are probably going to end up background...something red would be cool but I have no idea on that part right now, so i'm open to suggestions.

So, i'm tired, and normally being tired is good for random musings, but I'm tired. So, here's what I've scraped together that seems like it'll work:

Critiques/suggestions/comments/impressions/hey that's cool/that sucks welcome as always.

By the way! My ADA sticker isn't crooked this time.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.

Last edited by Francis Xavier; 07-25-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Slope your substrate even more. Once you fill the tank, the substrate will settle more flat. I like 1" in the front and 4" in the back before the tank is filled.

The rocks are very nice.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
It needs like two more cups of substrate poured right onto the the hill to smooth out the slope. But before that, that pointy rock in the back right needs to be moved down so its angle mirrors the largest rock imho. (It's a pet peeve of mine, I don't know why.)

also, you should totally go all out and do a mixed carpet of HC/Glosso and either UG or hair grass, I don't think the two would mix well together. No micro sword though! You should keep withen the same shade of green for a mixed carpet.

(Also, you can spray aquasoil down with a spray bottle till it's soaking pretty much before filling to help it keep its slope, but yeah, you do want 1" in the front and 4" in the back atleast.)

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 03:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
This is the best part. The laying down of the bones.

What are your lighting and CO2 ideas?
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I'm using pressurized Co2 that I had from my 30 gal. I was originally going with an Archaea light fixture with the 36w ADA bulb, but the coralife fixture you use is cheaper and easier to get, so went with that with the ADA bulb. It's not easy finding a light fixture that fits this tank size.

Yeah, I don't know why the hill has been such a pain in the ass in this tank. I think it has something to do with the combination of powder and normal Aquasoil. I'm tinkering with it to try to fix it, but it doesn't cooperate easily. And! Dollface that rock you're talking about is actually square and flat.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I filled in some more aquasoil to accentuate the slope some more. One thing I've really got to note here is that the soil layout is almost as important as the stones themselves - it has the power to completely change the impression of the layout just by covering up / revealing certain parts of the rock. Like in this layout in general I tried to turn otherwise useless flat, square stones into something that didn't look flat or square and give the impression of a natural layout, like a mountain top.

I also have to say there's a kind of layout magic that exists, that when you hit a certain point for a really good setup, you have to keep it because recreating it even with photos is nearly impossible. I can't say how many layouts I've had in here that I could sit back and be like "that looks cool" but let me tinker with it now and try a different layout, then when I try to go back to the old one it can't be recaptured!

I feel like the plant selection and placement is going to make or break this particular hardscape. It's amazing how much you learn each time you setup a new layout really. Each new tank seems like it offers volumes and volumes of new information. Or maybe I play around with things far too much!

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

You'll be impressed with the bag of UG and MP. Gave you quite a bit of both.
Initially, you'll be underwhelmed and frustrated by the second bag. There's hardly anything in it. However, this is the good stuff. Special Fern (a tiny, tiny frond), Japanese HG (I could only find a single blade), and a couple of blades of Mini Microsword.
What I'm trying to say is that San Marcos, TX is about to become a bit cooler plant-wise. These are all super rare, super rad, and perfect for nanos. It'll take time to grow them out to be useful in a 'scape, but once they do, you won't feel out in the middle of planted tank nowhere any more.
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Wow! Cant wait for you to fill up this baby! lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #430

post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

UG, do you have any suggestions for care on the special fern and japanese HG? I'll have to treat them with the utmost care to begin with since there's such a small margin for error! I remember you mentioning at one point that shrimp will eat special fern. So I'm wondering how to manage that in my stable setup.

I can't wait to fill it up either ddtran, but i'm carefully considering how to plant this baby. I should've just copied one of Amano's aquascapes and planted it exactly like he did...who am I kidding, I'd be annoyed with that even if it came out perfect just on principle.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After hours of planting, here's the result:

Three riccia stones, which will be surrounded by glosso/hc:

The Completed planting for now:

These'll be grown emmersed for the time being, see how it goes.

By the way, powder AS is such a pain to fill the water, even breaking strengthening the slope from vigorous misting then filling it in slowly with a plate underneath to break the flow tends to cause mudslides. I'll have to deal with this later, but for now I'm going to busy myself with not being bent over. My back hurts.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Another note cause i'm too lazy to edit. I hope these plants bounce back, most of them are rotting already, lost a lot of plant matter in the mail. 5 pots of glosso evaporated just about.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks good. I think UG will look great in the center cascading downward. The stuff should be there Tuesday and there's more than enough to plant in that center section.

I don't have any advice on the Special Fern. I do know that it could care less about CO2 and, to a certain extent, light. It hates shrimp. (Or, more accurately, shrimp love it to death.)

EDIT: Actually, I do have advice on the Special Fern. Put it near the filter outflow where shrimp can't get to it.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, that was my thoughts about the UG too, UG. I left that spot intentionally empty since I pictured it'd go nicely there.

Hmmm, if special fern doesn't care less about Co2 or light, I could place it in a bucket with a bubbler for flow and an ott light on top to provide light. Think that'd work well?

Now I have to figure a good spot to put MP somewhere in either this tank or Sanctia. Maybe superglued to the big rock in Sanctia.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

It has been about 8 days or so since I flooded the tank. Luckily (knock on wood) there hasn't been any algae in any significance at all so far (there has only been very very minute quantities of anything, and they've pretty much disappeared by the next day). So far the hair grass is growing quicker than anything else in the tank:

FTS:

Left:

Right:

I'll have to trim some of that glosso down later and replant it. The strands I got were pretty long to begin with, evidently I didn't bury them deep enough the first time around.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 06:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
its looking good!!

Eheim Pimp #430

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode