Happy Fish, Happy Life! 5 Gal Planted with Scarlet Badis & Galaxy Rasbora - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Happy Fish, Happy Life! 5 Gal Planted with Scarlet Badis & Galaxy Rasbora

Hey all.

This is my first HD video of my planted Fluval 5 gallon long nano tank.

https://youtu.be/-2fbJTRnwjc

It has been set up for a little over a year now. There are Scarlet Badis and Galaxy Rasboras in there.

Let me know what you guys think, enjoy!

Please feel free to visit my YouTube channel for videos on my Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp, Crystal Red & Black Shrimp, Galaxy Rasbora, and Scarlet Badis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks nice. I'm starting a tank right now and am planning pretty much the same livestock as you, although a different planting. What are you running in terms of lighting? Any CO2?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, redchaser. I am using a Finnex Ray Planted+ 12" lamp. As for CO2, I don't use any but use Flourish Excel once a week. Hope that helps.

Please feel free to visit my YouTube channel for videos on my Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp, Crystal Red & Black Shrimp, Galaxy Rasbora, and Scarlet Badis!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moygoodness View Post
Thanks, redchaser. I am using a Finnex Ray Planted+ 12" lamp. As for CO2, I don't use any but use Flourish Excel once a week. Hope that helps.
Those black crystal shrimp look amazing, as do your CPD's. I hope to fill my tank tomorrow to start is cycling, then maybe get some plants in it within a week or two.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 01:47 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
Fun video with some great looking fish.

Don't you Scarlet's hunt baby shrimpies, though?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks redchaser and Kindafishy!

Kindafishy, yes they do hunt the shrimp fry but they constantly breed so I don't mind them snacking. Lol. Also, I have a separate shrimp only tank. Check out the videos at my YouTube channel when you get the chance!

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by redchaser View Post
Those black crystal shrimp look amazing, as do your CPD's. I hope to fill my tank tomorrow to start is cycling, then maybe get some plants in it within a week or two.
Can't wait to see the setup of your tank. Best of luck!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

cool video, the scarlet badis are really cool

my 8 gallon journal:

my 35 gallon journal:
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-12-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, andrewss! They are very interesting but super picky eaters.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moygoodness View Post
Do you dose any ferts? I have a 12" Planted+ over a 7.5g 12" cube, and I dose excel daily and flourish weekly, plus have a layer of salvinia floaters to diffuse the light. Otherwise I feel like I would have all sorts of algae.

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Falcoooo, I only use Flourish Excel once a week right after I do a 20% water change. I only dose when the new water is in and the filter is still off. I've been dealing with a crazy algae break, as you can see in my video its all over the rocks. Since that video I only leave the light on for maybe 5 hours a day, 1 hour in the morning before work and 3-4 hours after work. I've been doing this for a week and the algae is going away. The plants are actually growing better so I will probably stick to this plan.

How long do you leave on the light for yours? I had floaters to break up the light but the floater growth was just too much to manage after. Plus it defeats the purpose of having a planted lamp.

Last edited by Moygoodness; 05-13-2015 at 12:53 AM. Reason: edit
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

8 hours each day. Two 4 hour sessions with a 2 hour siesta. When my floaters are thinned out, I use a piece of window screen to diffuse the light, and remove it when my floaters cover the whole tank.

I have not yet had any algae issues and tanks been setup for about 6 months. I also have very minimal bioload.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Falcooo, you have a great looking tank!

My Rotala macrandra? (well, some sort of Rotala) and the mini reineckii require a bit of light so I used to have it on as long as 8 hours which might have led to the algae breakout. I never thought of using a piece of a window screen so I will borrow your idea. Thanks.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:10 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank! And yea the window screen works great. Just cut a little piece and put it on top of your glass below the fixture.

If you want salvinia floaters, let me know. I usually offer a RAOK once a month or so with enough to cover a 8x8 area.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 01:24 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)
Pretty tank with 2 of my favorite fish. Are they breeding for you? My badis will only eat live foods. What are you feeding yours? Do you know the tds or conductivity of the water you are keeping them in?

Tags
crystal black shrimp, galaxy rasbora, planted tank, scarlet badis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode