6.5 gal, guppies fighting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
6.5 gal, guppies fighting?

This is the smallest tank I've ever had. It's the aqueon Evolve 8 but I gather only 6.5 gal usable.

I put in 2 pairs of guppies. It's well planted with lots of hiding spots and some open water, not that guppies like to hide normally. Could it be the gender ratio and small tank size causing this?

Females chasing each other aggressively, males as well even more so. One male spends quite a bit of time living it up under the plants and gets chased if he leaves.

Would another female help by any chance?
Anything else I can do to stop the stress in there?

One female is close to giving birth and the other has been pecking at her vent for a week, though maybe that's standard guppy activity I don't know. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Bigger tank. Guppy males harass the females a lot, and the females are not always so peaceful, either. They need more room to get away from each other. Perhaps use this little tank as a maternity ward. A single pregnant female can give birth in here in peace.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
guppy ratio wise, it should be at least 1 male to at least 2 females.

As Diana said, the males tend to harass the females a lot. So, the more females there are, the less stressed each single female will be as the male will be chasing around all of the females instead of just 1 or 2 females. But, yet again, the females chase each other sometimes as well.

Also, I agree with Diana about bigger tank. The guppy population WILL explode and keep growing in numbers...haha.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Guppies, like lots of fish are the subject of generalizations.

I have trio of Bluegrass that have reproduced...............like guppies.

They didn't eat their offspring, and don't chase each other much either. One of the females is now WELL beyond 30 days and looks grotesquely huge. All in a 10G with just a clump of Java moss in it.

I also have a colony of red-tail platinums that are just non-stop motion in a 15G.

There's plenty of chasing and harassing for sure. I've had them three weeks and only one drop with none of the others looking close. Another "violation" of the 30 day rule. But I haven't had any losses and nobody looks tattered or even shy. I caught the one drop in a Marina Box as I didn't think I would get lucky enough that these guys would leave the newborns alone too. I'll take the chance with the next drop though and just see what happens.

Just a hunch, but foods offered may play a role. All of these get a rotation of mixed flakes, Live BBS, frozen daphnia, and chopped bloodworms. Unlike my other tanks, they also get plenty at each feeding.

I have a friend who raises largely half-black pastels and his fish leave their offspring alone as well, and I gotta say his tanks are really packed. Aggression is just about non-existent too.

Adding a couple more females really can't hurt. But as noted, they can be tough on each other too.

Yet another contradiction: as I separate the juveniles out the of Bluegrass trio into male and female grow-out 10G's, the gaggle of females couldn't be bothered with each other, and to a large extent neither can the males I've segregated.

In the end it's about taking some chances to see how things work out. Pairs are displaying aggression issues, so spreading out that aggression sounds like a logical option. If you're offering flakes only, some frozen in the mix may help, but I offer no science on this one.

Angelo

"Why can't my wife see all of this stuff as an investment?"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I've noticed a few of mine picking on a female who happens to be close. I can only guess they're treating her like a snack dispenser.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright thanks for the info. For some reason I chose guppies as the best bet for this small tank, for sizing, activity level, lack of aggression and hardiness being a newbie with likely highly fluctuating water quality.
Not sure what else would be better, not too into the shrimps.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Perhaps exchange the guppies for one male endler and three females? They're smaller than guppies, so they don't need as much space. Also, that ratio will keep the females from being constantly pestered by the males. In addition to that, they have lots of pretty colors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My current project, a 65 gallon aquarium stocked with vernal pool fauna.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode