JBJ Nano Cube 6g: My first tank ever... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (1/100%)
JBJ Nano Cube 6g: My first tank ever...

Hello all, so I finally did it and got a tank. After some deliberation I settled on the JBJ Nano Cube 6 gallon for my desk at work.

I have a couple of questions but here is a quick status update:
I got the tank and set it up 10 days ago. I got some plants from my LFS including 2 crypts of some sort, some rotala indica, 2 pygmy chain swords, and some lloydiella. The plants have been in the tank 7 days.

I used Red Sea Flora Base substrate. I don't have a heater but the pump/lights keep the water just below 80 F depending on the AC in my building.

The plants seem to be establishing themselves; the lloydiella is growing what seem to be roots from the upper nodes and quickly reaching down for the substrate. And this morning I had a pygmy chain sword runner sprout up. The rotala came with a bunch of cotton-looking algae on it which has since started to evaporate but now I have some brown algae taking off...

I have been monitoring the water daily and have seen the ammonia spike and then go away. Currently the nitrite is through the roof.

As of today here are the values for the tank:
ph: 7.5
NO2: >3.3 mg/L,
NH3: 0 mg/L
GH: 8
KH: 3
Temp: 79 F

I have been using RO and adding buffer (R/O Right).

I plan on keeping 20 or so red cherry shrimp and maybe 5-6 neon tetras. Here are my questions...

I've been reading as much as I can but the information seems mixed.
Are my values appropriate for my future shrimp/fish? I am a bit worried about the hardness. I really don't know what I should be using to keep it in check. The R/O Right seems to put the GH too high by the time the KH is even measurable.

Also is a pH of 7.5 too high?

Thanks in advance for any help, I am really enjoying myself so far with the hobby but want to make sure I've got things under control before I add my shrimp and fish.

Here's a picture. I have since ordered a 6500k light to replace the 50/50 that came with the cube.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04-19-02.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	103.1 KB
ID:	13155  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:04 AM
Algae Grower

Are you going to dose DIY or use a tank? Tank looks good btw.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 12:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by djorijun View Post
Are you going to dose DIY or use a tank? Tank looks good btw.
I thought about seeing if I could get away without CO2, however something like this could work.

http://www.adgshop.com/CO_Advanced_System_p/101-602.htm

Being that the tank is in the corner of my cubicle at school the smaller I can keep things the better.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode