Dry Starting my sister's betta tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dry Starting my sister's betta tank

So I wanted my sister to share the love of fish keeping. I am starting this tank for her hoping she will get into it more.

Right now I am dry starting it with Hydrocotyle Sp. Japan and some HC. I plan to add some Rotala rotundifolia after I fill it up and fix the river.

Sorry for the bad phone picture but it takes better pictures than my camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150502_230104.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	469402  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I'd remove some of the water. You may run into mold. What is your substrate?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

This is my first time dry starting anything so I will remove some water

The substrate is dirt capped with sand. I plan for it to be a Walstad style tank. My sister is headed off to college so she is not going to have time for a high maintenance tank.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 06:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Alright cool. Just lower it to below the surface of the substrate at the front of the tank. Even lower if you are going to be misting it.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 11:07 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Its called "Dry start" for a reason The substrate just need's to be damp. No puddles allowed. This will just lead to fungus ime. And with the amount of water you have, algae too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 03:05 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakian View Post
Its called "Dry start" for a reason The substrate just need's to be damp. No puddles allowed. This will just lead to fungus ime. And with the amount of water you have, algae too.
+1 ^^^ this exactly! I have a thread under Low-tech, Low-tech DSM. I'll BUMP it so you can take a look.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 09:12 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've done a DSM with HC, and while it does just fine without CO2, I've heard other people have run into problems with it competing for CO2 when other species are present. Just something to watch for if the HC isn't doing well when you add the rotala!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have HC doing well in another low tech with a bunch of other stuff. I moved it in there because I kept losing it to my cories(corys?) and the filter. I wasn't expecting it to grow any. I was pleasantly surprised that it started growing. It will probably take it another 4 months to form a carpet but it is growing in well but very slowly.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Once you get your "parameters" straight, the HC grows surprisingly fast emersed. Also the the competing for Co2 I have personally never experienced. Had HC successfully with several different plants, including stems/weeds/fast growers. To be honest I don't see all the hype about the HC, I've had no difficulty with it. Even in a non-co2 low tech. Though barley didn't grow, and when it did It grew upright, but it still survived fine. Added excel at regular doses to this tank. Without even excel I think it would die since HC does seem need more then the regular atmospheric carbon to survive. So you could just do a DSM mat of HC then fill it, and be fine.

A.Reineckiis and hygros though are a pain in the butt for me, but I love them so I just have to figure it out I guess

Last edited by Malakian; 05-06-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Added
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-06-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am not using excel in my the tank where my HC is growing. Could plants from different places act differently? I have DHG "growing" in a window in dirt. It is growing but very slowly. I have micro sword growing much faster in my high tech tank(develops a new leaf every other day). Almost everywhere I have read, DHG is supposed to grow faster than micro sword. I have not found that to be the case with what I have.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode