Finnex 8 gallon Lighting? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Finnex 8 gallon Lighting?

Hello all!

I have recently acquired a Finnex rimless rounded edge 8 gallon from a friend. I hope to bring this to college with me and set up a nice low tech tank.

No CO2. I'd like it to be as low maintenance as possible but still get good lush growth. For planting various types of crypts come to mind, mosses, and anubias would be great.

I can't find this tank online so I'm assuming it's become discontinued. The dimensions are: 16" x 10" x 12"

That being said, what are my options for lighting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

bump.....
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 08:51 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecFish View Post
Hello all!

I have recently acquired a Finnex rimless rounded edge 8 gallon from a friend. I hope to bring this to college with me and set up a nice low tech tank.

No CO2. I'd like it to be as low maintenance as possible but still get good lush growth. For planting various types of crypts come to mind, mosses, and anubias would be great.

I can't find this tank online so I'm assuming it's become discontinued. The dimensions are: 16" x 10" x 12"

That being said, what are my options for lighting?
A Finnex StingRay Clip On would work. I bought the larger one for a Fluval Spec, and it does a great job for low light plants, and it didn't break the bank - lol

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
The finnex clip on would be perfect. And it would keep you in that low/med range. I have the 12" planted+ on my 12" cube tank is it is med/high light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgaliam View Post
A Finnex StingRay Clip On would work. I bought the larger one for a Fluval Spec, and it does a great job for low light plants, and it didn't break the bank - lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcooo View Post
The finnex clip on would be perfect. And it would keep you in that low/med range. I have the 12" planted+ on my 12" cube tank is it is med/high light.
Wow, $25 that's cheap! The Finnex Clip on StingRay is only 9.5" long, would there be enough light to span the whole 16 inches?

They also have the standard LED fixtures of the StingRay, the 16" model runs for $40 which is a little bit more but would probably give equal spread for the whole tank. Would that be a better choice?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
If the 16 inch fixture is a little too much light, you can always add salvinia floaters to help diffuse the light.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Alright sounds good.

I bought this tank off of a friend by impulse for cheap. I'm going to college this fall and I'm hoping this tank will be the one I take. Originally I planned on buying the Fluval Spec v but I couldn't pass up on this deal. And I don't really feel like blowing another $80 on another tank.

So here's my question... I'm trying to make this an 'all-in-one' system so I can transport it easily and do maintenance in a flash. Is it possible to build a sump/overflow used in the spec? If so, how would I do it?

The tank came with an eheim 2213 which is great! But I don't know if I'd have enough space considering this is like a desktop tank. I'm also considering using an aquaclear 20 hob I have laying around but I would really prefer a compact system for ease of transporting and space.

I searched through the forums but it doesn't seem like anyone's done this before. So what do you think?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode