1 Gallon Tank Help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1 Gallon Tank Help.

So im planning on making this a planted tank.... I still have no idea what kind of live stock i want to put in here but before we get into that section.... How do i add lighting to this tank? And filter??? or do i just go filter-less?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Return that tank and get AT LEAST a 10g.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

but i already have a 10g,20g,and a 55g =(

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Here's what I'd do with a tiny tank like that - NO LIVESTOCK it's too small to hold a cycle.
You can get a tiny sponge filter to run in it or make a homemade tiny filter : http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/351/
BUT that is never going to be enough to hold a cycle. You can use the filter to get proper water flow in the tank, which will help any plants you put in there (stagnant water means no proper nutrient distribution in the tank and leads to unhappy plants and algae blooms)
For lighting, you can go easy and set it near a window for low lighting. Or you can get a daylight CFL lamp for higher lighting, but get a timer so it's not on all day long.

Once again, NO LIVESTOCK. You might end up with pond/bladder snails but that's about it. There's nothing else that should be subjected to living in that tiny space IMHO.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You could maybe do a Walstad Shrimp bowl. Here's a link, http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf I haven't tried it myself, so I can't attest to anything about it.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 04:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDBenson View Post
Return that tank and get AT LEAST a 10g.
This.

Last edited by Aplomado; 04-30-2015 at 04:47 PM. Reason: change
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchmi28 View Post
You could maybe do a Walstad Shrimp bowl. Here's a link, http://www.bookmasters.com/marktplc/00388Shrimp.pdf I haven't tried it myself, so I can't attest to anything about it.
+1 on this. I've had a 1g Walstad shrimp bowl for many months, and it's doing great.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:27 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Shrimp Tank, that's is all I would put in that but honestly I would return it like everyone else is saying....
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZammZenny View Post

So im planning on making this a planted tank.... I still have no idea what kind of live stock i want to put in here but before we get into that section.... How do i add lighting to this tank? And filter??? or do i just go filter-less?
Wow, I just realized that everyone (including myself) just completely brushed your question aside and started discussing the question you intentionally didn't ask. So regarding lighting the tank; It's hard to tell from that picture how the inside of the lid is. Also, the Egyptian background, are you planning on using it? Is it flat or 3D?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchmi28 View Post
Wow, I just realized that everyone (including myself) just completely brushed your question aside and started discussing the question you intentionally didn't ask. So regarding lighting the tank; It's hard to tell from that picture how the inside of the lid is. Also, the Egyptian background, are you planning on using it? Is it flat or 3D?
This is true and I'm sorry. I can't tell you anything about the lighting. the last time I was in PetSmart I saw this tank and kept walking. Plants you could try would be things like Anubias nana and A. nana "petite" and mosses. It would look cool to put a small piece of driftwood and you did moss and Anubias. As mentioned circulation might be tough though. Again, I apologize for such a gruff initial comment.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:20 AM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hagen Elite mini for the filter
13w CFL in a reflector for the light
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
You can just use a desk/clamp light with a 5000K-10,000K CFL. Stocking would be shrimp/snails only. A sponge filter might fit if you want a filter, or just go Walstad.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
I have a gallon vase that shape, and for lighting I just put in by a window, if it grows algae just move it back a little.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:13 AM
Wannabe Guru

Hello ZammZenny, did you set this tank up?
I'd be curious as to what you did. I particularly like small set-ups even if they're a PITA to maintain sometimes. I have a cylindrical vase that's maybe 1.5 gallon if I fill to the brim, I put a Tom mini internal filter in it and for light right now it's near a window but I did have an IKEA Jansjo LED on it (amazingly able to grow low light plants, even water wisteria). Right now there's just some bladder snails in, along with Java moss, Java Fern, and water wisteria. Eventually I plan on putting some RCS.
Hope you did something with the tank, it would be cool to see. I enjoy mine even with just the snails and plants.

Daisy Mae V
According to my husband, I have a habit of jumping right in!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 02:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I disagree about a 1g being too small for a cycle, any tank can be cycled if done properly and not over stocked. BUT that brand is utter junk and I would not recommend keeping anything in it. If you want to try shrimp or a betta take that back and go to Walmart and grab the 2g anchor hocking cookie jar ($10) or check thrift stores for 2g and larger vases and bubble bowls to use as tanks.. PetSupplyPlus (if you have one near you) sells 5g and 2.5g Aqueon tanks for around $10, buy a sponge filter ($3-4), air pump ($5-10) airline tubing ($3-4), heater (if betta ($16-25- do not get the "betta heaters" those things peel paint and kill fish or cook them, I'd recommended Aqueon pre-set 50 watt or Hydro theo adjustable heaters for a 2g tank with betta, shrimp tank won't need a heater unless your house temp fluctuates alot). Live plants are a must for shrimp keeping, and definitely good for bettas.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode