Quote:
Originally Posted by ldk59 View Post
Looking for options here ....

Plan (at this point) is for
a *mostly* moss-scape
with CRS as the only fauna

Thanks in advance for your help

Larry
In my 3 gallon low tech ADA AS II tank as per my signature, I have a Elite Mini Subermisble, and red cherry shrimp seem fine with it. In fact, so fine that I have a cherry shrimp population explosion in the tank. The filter is rated for tanks up to 3 gallons.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
You could always get a brine shrimp net and using the netting shrimp proof the intake. Cut the net out wrap it around the intake and zip tie and your good to go.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
I use an Eheim 2211 with the ADA glassware the Mini V-1 and Mini P-1. The intake slots are too small for shrimp to get sucked through. The slots are paper thin.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
The Cal Aqua Lily pipe intakes are too small for my shrimp to get caught in. Well they could probably get sucked into them, but I've yet to see it happen - they're strong enough to avoid being sucked in. Now, I've had 3 garden / pet snails get trapped in the in take. I'm not sure if fry would get stuck in them though or not.

However, you could always get some pieces of riccia and let them float into the filter in takes, I have this happen when i'm too lazy to remove it, and it doesn't effect the flow rate from what i've noticed, and the individual riccia strands are large enough to not get sucked into the filter.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigthor View Post
I use an Eheim 2211 with the ADA glassware the Mini V-1 and Mini P-1. The intake slots are too small for shrimp to get sucked through. The slots are paper thin.
Craig
Thanks Craigthor... I thought you were using a 2213 on your tank? I've been on the prowl for a 2211, but no luck as yet... Your Nano is one of the tanks that inspired me to order the Mini-M in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
In my 3 gallon low tech ADA AS II tank as per my signature, I have a Elite Mini Subermisble, and red cherry shrimp seem fine with it. In fact, so fine that I have a cherry shrimp population explosion in the tank. The filter is rated for tanks up to 3 gallons.
Homer, thanks for the reply... I've followed that thread with some interest. I'm just not convinced that I want an internal filter in such a small tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Xavier View Post
The Cal Aqua Lily pipe intakes are too small for my shrimp to get caught in. Well they could probably get sucked into them, but I've yet to see it happen - they're strong enough to avoid being sucked in. Now, I've had 3 garden / pet snails get trapped in the in take. I'm not sure if fry would get stuck in them though or not.
Thank you for the reply Francis... I've been watching Sanctia develop. I wish the Cal-aqua pipes were available right now ... I'll probably end up ordering the ADA pipes... After all, it's only money, I'll make more

Again, thank you all for taking the time to respond to my questions... it's tough to get a *feel* for how these tanks function by viewing still photos
posted on the net... I know you can put a 2213 on one of these tanks, but without actually seeing it in person it's hard to tell if the flow is *just right* or *hang on little shrimpies, the hurricane's comming ashore*
So, most of us rely on the posts written by those of you who are using the equipment in question.

You folks that take the time to read & respond to the questions posted on this (and other) forums are what makes these things work ... You are the class of the field

Larry
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
The Cal Aqua mini pipes DO suck up baby shrimp. The very bottom of the intake is open, unlike the ADA one. I've found many shrimp alive and swimming around when I open up my Eheim filter for cleaning.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
The Cal Aqua mini pipes DO suck up baby shrimp. The very bottom of the intake is open, unlike the ADA one. I've found many shrimp alive and swimming around when I open up my Eheim filter for cleaning.
Very true I had my only Mosura get sucked into a Cal Aqua Pipe, that is why I have the ADA ones now.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-17-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ldk59
Quote:
Originally Posted by volatile View Post
Good to know ...thank you.

So, looks like I'll be on the lookout for a 2011 or 2211 My next Aqua Forest order isn't going to be cheap

Larry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode