Wanna start 2.5G, filter, heat? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wanna start 2.5G, filter, heat?

Wanna start a 2.5G. I'm looking through other threads and slowly grabbin' info... Thought someone may have answers/ideas or may be able to direct me to useful threads/articles.

Plan on dedicating this little guy to shrimps. Cherry perhaps...

It's a simple tank from Petsmart. Substrate on order is Eco-Complete. One idea I picked up for filtration is the Red Sea Nano Filter. I was hoping to keep the tank as uncluttered as possible. Such a small tank could be over powered by even a small HOB filter, heater, CO2 lines, lighting... That in mind, any ideas for "remote" nano filters? Small canister?

Nano heater?

This tank has a glass top which I plan on keeping... Cats. Was thinking on locating a shop that would cut/trim this lid. One idea was to attempt to custom cut it to match input tubes/filter/lines. Second was to simply trim an inch or so for this same stuff. Anyone have experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I wish you best luck with this. For Filter I don't think there anything out there for a small canister filter for a 2.5g but I use the Hagen Mini on my 2.5g. It's been up for a year now on 24/7 and it runs like brand new! It is very powerful and convienent. I suggest you take a look at it!

The Pimp-em Club
Straight pimpin' since 2009
- ADA Mini-M Pimp #7 -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)
I use the Red Sea nano filter, and it works well for me. I feed the diy co2 line into the filter intake. I don't use a heater, and my red cherry shrimp do not seem to mind at all.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (8/100%)
i've got a 5g without a filter. if you keep up on water changes, i don't think you'll need it. i'd keep looking around for more info since i didn't have the best luck with shrimp in my 20 gallon.

GL.

90G - CA community tank (Jack Dempsey, Fire Mouth, Blood Parrot). 8 Tiger Barbs, 3 Clown Loaches, 3 bristlenose Pleco's.
20G (tall) - Planted. 4 neons, 8 rummy nose tetras, 3 ottos.
5.5G - Dwarf Hairgrass playland for Beta and 2 ottos.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I just ugraded the filter on my 5.5 from a Red Sea nano to an AquaClear 20, I loved the red sea nano, it's sort of my fault it was on its way out, in my search for a new filter (there's a thread on here somewhere about it) I found there are 2 mini canisters that people have used, the Toms Mini Canister and the ZooMed 501. With an intake and a spray bar though I don't know that they'd actually take up less space than the Red Sea nano it might even take up morespace. I have the red sea nano on a ~2.5g QT tank right now and it doesn't take up much space at all FWIW. For the price (i got mine for $7.00 at my LFS) i personally don't think you can beat the red sea nano on a tiny tank. The flow was not QUITE strong enough when my tank was thickly planted in the 5g, but i think it would do really well on a 2.5.

Anyway, that's my $0.02 on that

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I have to agree with everyone here, the Red Sea Nano is the best option for a tank this small. If you're able to hide it with small stem plants or the like, the Hagen Mini Elite is also good but needs to be cleaned more often. It also takes up more space inside the tank being an internal filter & all.
There actually is a nano heater, I believe it's made by Tetra Marineland, I've seen it at Petland. It's preset at 78F

|

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Another plus to the elite mini is that you can easily mod it to become a very effficient CO2 Reactor.

And heater , 15w small ones from Wallyworld do aight,.

||
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:13 AM Thread Starter

All good info!! Many thanks!!

Anyone have any experience with attempting to have the glass top cut to fit the filter or other items entering the tank?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
You could just but a glass cutting tool and do it yourself. Especially if it's only an inch or two.

|

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Got one. Never seem to have luck cutting anything I care about.

What I was thinking was conforming the cuts to the shape of items entering the tank. Don't know if that can be done.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicken View Post
I use the Red Sea nano filter, and it works well for me. I feed the diy co2 line into the filter intake. I don't use a heater, and my red cherry shrimp do not seem to mind at all.

Ordered the Red Sea Nano and Eco-Complete. Will figure the rest as I go. Will also try no heater and see how that works. I am thinking of bleeding CO2 off a 46G once I get CO2 set up on it...
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 05:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadoc View Post
What I was thinking was conforming the cuts to the shape of items entering the tank. Don't know if that can be done.
I think if you can find a place that custom cuts glass they should probably be able to do it for you, you'll just need to have all of the equipment so you know how big the cuts need to be. I've never had much luck with cutting it myself either.

3 year old Tibetan Terrier named Whisky
11 year old miniature Poodle named Cody
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Algae Grower

i use a small mini hydor heater and buried it under the gravel and glued the cords up the side so it looked good..
its working well so far for me because my house is pretty chill, even in the summer times.
And i liked that there was no tube in the background, very low profile! and it heats it perfectly for my 2g tank
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)
Those small flat hydor mini heaters will actually fit in the sides of red sea nano filters (you'll have to keep the top of the filter off though)
I'm not entirely sure on how effective it is but when I used it like that It bumped up the temperature one or two degrees in a 5 gallon tank.

Wabi Kusa is just an Aquascape Katamari
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 12:21 AM
Algae Grower

just be careful with that Hydor heater.. i had another one i wedged behind the wall and the back of my tank and it melted some of the paint on the wall and almost got STUCK!
AND the temp raised so much, it actually started to warp the plastic on my small bubble tank...

it does say on the packaging that it can be run dry with no ill affects, but i wouldnt suggest it. =/
i think it was because it was encased... and not submerged. but im not sure and i dont plan on testing it that way again

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode