Betta fish in planted nano tank. Maintenance help, please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy Betta fish in planted nano tank. Maintenance help, please?

Hi all!

First of all, I'm new here, so nice to meet you!

I started a 2.5 gallon planted nano tank two weeks ago, and by now is more or less cycled enough to add my red dragon betta fish, Shakespeare.

My plants started "melting" at some point to adjust to the new environment, so I added an Amano shrimp and red cherry shrimp as a clean up crew. But once my betta was in the tank, he just kept attacking the shrimp! Shakespeare actually sticks his head and body into the amazon sword plant to scare the shrimps out of hiding!

I left them overnight, hoping it was just an adjusting process. But in the morning, I decided to take the shrimps out since the betta's assaults have not stopped. The poor RCS had turned pale from stress!

I would really really love to have at least one shrimp in the tank, for the sake of cleaning up the plant detritus. I'm hoping to re-introduce the amano shrimp after a few days. But I'm worried my betta wouldn't stand for it!

Has anyone had any success keeping a betta and clean-up shrimp in a nano tank? Or if not, any advice on how I can clean-up/reduce/maintain a planted tank without a clean up crew?

Thanks so much guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I had 5 ghost shrimp in my 5g nano tank with my betta. He made snacks of them all. After that he wouldn't even eat regular betta food and would only eat freeze-dried mysis shrimp and frozen blood worms.

I think your shrimpies need a new home without a neighbor who will eat them.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yikes! X_X

Sad to hear that. Funny this happens to us, but my sister has a 2.5 gallon tank housing 1 bette, and 4 amano shrimps. No fights at all...

How unpredictable these betta personalities are...

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrion_dholl View Post
Yikes! X_X

Sad to hear that. Funny this happens to us, but my sister has a 2.5 gallon tank housing 1 bette, and 4 amano shrimps. No fights at all...

How unpredictable these betta personalities are...
It's true! And my current Betta won't touch mysis shrimp, so I wonder if he'd be ok with small shrimp in the tank...but I won't risk it.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:24 PM
Algae Grower

Sid's mostly just gotten curiously close to one of the new shrimp in his tank. They get defensive and tell him to shove off. I think he mostly gets near them to show who's boss. Though, I won't be angry if he eats one of them...trying not to get attached!

5.5 gal tank with one Betta named Sid Fishious
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 03:34 PM
Planted Member

I introduced approx. 15 RCS to a 5G betta tank over the weekend. It is heavily planted with a carpet of S repens, driftwood with anubias and java fern, and stems of ludwigia palustris/repens that perfectly match the shrimp's red coloration. I figured there would be plenty of hiding spots, but......

The little bugger immediately went on the hunt, and so far has managed to eat at least half of them. And it isn't just opportunistic - he actively stalks the edge of the S repens carpet just waiting for them to poke their head out before striking. His success rate is low (half moon, so relatively poor swimmer) but he makes up for that by being at it constantly, even after lights-out.

He does not seem to be particularly aggressive under normal circumstances, but he is *extremely* food oriented, even by betta standards. I guess this was the red flag...... :/
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (27/97%)
This is very normal thing for a betta to do. They are predators. In wild, the wild bettas eat nothing but small insects like mosquito larvae etc.
They LOVE eating shrimplets.

||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
||
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 05:18 PM
gog
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Lots of people successfully keep otos with Bettas
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-29-2015, 07:04 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefy View Post
I introduced approx. 15 RCS to a 5G betta tank over the weekend. It is heavily planted with a carpet of S repens, driftwood with anubias and java fern, and stems of ludwigia palustris/repens that perfectly match the shrimp's red coloration. I figured there would be plenty of hiding spots, but......

The little bugger immediately went on the hunt, and so far has managed to eat at least half of them. And it isn't just opportunistic - he actively stalks the edge of the S repens carpet just waiting for them to poke their head out before striking. His success rate is low (half moon, so relatively poor swimmer) but he makes up for that by being at it constantly, even after lights-out.

He does not seem to be particularly aggressive under normal circumstances, but he is *extremely* food oriented, even by betta standards. I guess this was the red flag...... :/
Ha, sounds just like my late Half-Moon. I never once saw him flare at any of his tank occupants, but he loved shrimp. I didn't get too upset, mostly envious. I developed a crustacean allergy in the past decade, so at least one of us got to enjoy shrimp.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gog View Post
Lots of people successfully keep otos with Bettas
Not in a tiny tank, though, maybe...? Don't Otos require 10 or more gallons? That was always my understanding, otherwise I'd have one in my 5. Instead I have a nerite snail who does a decent job of keeping the glass clean. I vac the gravel with weekly water changes.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 01:36 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
my betta doesn't like anyone. He kept after one of my snails til I finally moved it. He doesn't seem to mind the other one. It's purple and I moved a gold one.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

i once kept a ghost shrimp with a betta-with success!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
My betta has an amano, 2 ghosts, and several RCS friends that he leaves alone. The ghosts were actually my testers to see if he would kill them, lol. None of my shrimp ever hide.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 03:28 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
My male betta stressed my Amano shrimp to death, and my female betta swallowed a male cherry so big that the tip of his head and his antennas stuck out of her mouth. It took her 8 hours to digest enough of him to be able to close her mouth again (yes I kept track).
I know people who have Cherry, Ghost, or Amano shrimp in with bettas, but so far I haven't had luck. I'm guessing larger shrimp might stand a better chance than smaller ones, but even the larger ones can get stressed to death if the betta doesn't leave them alone (like my male's Amano). I'm guessing it's hit and miss - though if your betta goes for one type of shrimp he will probably go after larger ones too, and while he can't eat them as is he may be prone to nipping at their antennas/legs/tail and kill them that way.

Personally I'm considering adding ramshorn snails or horned nerites to my male betta's tank (my female has a zebra nerite cleaning up).
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Everyone! thanks for your amazing response!

From the sound of it, looks like betta personalities are hard to predict, though safe to assume they would be aggressive. It baffles me, because my sister's 2.5 gallon tank houses one betta and 4 amano shrimp, and nothing is happening!

Funny thing though, later that night when i removed the shrimps from the tank, I caught the betta nuzzling into the amazon sword plant, like he was making it his bed. This is now his preferred spot to rest.

So now it got me thinking, maybe he was attacking the shrimp because he wanted the amazon sword spot for himself. The shrimp also loved it there, because it was the biggest, and most dense aqua plant. Anyway, I figured this meant planting more dense stem plants and the like, perhaps it would placate the betta's aggression (which may have been linked to territorial preferences).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:21 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrion_dholl View Post
From the sound of it, looks like betta personalities are hard to predict.
Very true. My Betta was too slow to catch the RCS I had in with him (5 gallon) and it ended up stressing him out more then the shrimp. Was patrolling back and forth and trying to chase any kind of movement (even if it was a leaf). Swear he never rested.

Separated them and all is well. Fine with just a nerite in there.

WIP |
| Spec V Drystart WIP
MTS already setting in.

Tags
betta fish, clean up, maintenance, planted, shrimp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode