Yet another 2.5g (planted) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cool Yet another 2.5g (planted)

My 2.5g nano tank, the newest feul to the fire that is my MTS. I have an aquascape planned out, but I may make some minor changes in it along the way.

Stats:

pH: 7.2

Lighting: 60w bulb of a desk lamp until I build a hood for it.

Ferts: Once every two weeks, after a 25 or 50% water change

Filter: Forgot the brand, it's called a 3i filter (for tanks up to 3 gallons)

Flora: one clump of moneywort

Fauna: none yet

So, without further ado...

Tank before setup (in my very messy room):

Tank with filter, substrate, and lighting:

Half-filled with Moneywort:

That's all for now.

Loving his 2.5g,

TheRealOrangeJuice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 02:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I'm not a big fan of that filter, I had it on a 2.5g before and feel the Red Sea Nano filter I have now passes it by leaps & bounds.
What are you using for a substrate, it looks like its just regular play sand? And any plans for other plants, fish for shrimp or any hardscape in here? Even with their small size these tiny tanks can make a huge statement, and IMO are the most fun to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 03:02 AM Thread Starter

Cool

My plans are to have a riccia-covered stone in the middle-front with a small amazon sword-looking plant in the right corner, let the moneywort grow around the filter, have two other plants that will grow to the top of the aquarium, and (once I buy some decent lighting and install my diy co2) get a carpet of glosso for it. The main point of focus would be the riccia-covered round stone.

As far as fauna goes, I'm thinking either RCS or a small school of rasboras or tetras. Or maybe even both. But probably one or the other.

And as for my substrate, it's sand straight from the Mississippi river! It's actually very nutrient-rich, which is very helpful in planted tanks. I also have it in my 10g, which also has a tank journal (but it's also very new [though not quite as new as this]). I bought two peppered cories for the 10g earlier today, actually, and they love rooting around in this stuff. IMO, I think it looks better than gravel and planting is easier.

EDIT: And as far as lighting goes, I've done the math and a 60w bulb over 2.5 gallons gets 24w/g Although I don't think that would be accurate...

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
My first suggestion would be to take that rim off. On a 2.5, the rim isn't really necessary at all and it is much more aesthetically pleasing without it. I'm going to agree with rrrrramos as well, you should probably switch out that filter, especially if your planning on keeping fish in there. THe red sea nano filter looks much better and is much more effective.

Also, for your school of rasboras and/or tetras, I would look at invertzfactory.com. They have a lot of boraras and microrasboras that you could easily keep a good number of in that 2.5

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Alright, thanks for the advice guys, I'm currently looking into a Red Sea filter. And what do you think about this being a tank for RCS rather than fish? Or could I put a school of about four neons in with the RCS possibly?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
2.5g isn't really ideal for most fish. Most tetra's need at least 5g to not be stressed, and should really be housed in a 10g. There are some fish that are the exception, certain species of rasbora, some of the borara's. RCS are a great fit for it though, as you can have a decent amount in there without much trouble.

|

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Okay then. I hate seeing overstressed/overcrowded fish, so I'll just get some RCS for it once I finish setting it up. If they overpopulate, I'll just feed some to my perch & The Eliminator (my black bullhead catfish) in my 29g. I still haven't put up a tank journal for the 29g, but it's not much to look at.

Yet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode