2.5g planted only questions
After posting on my other forums, I thought "Hey, what's teh best place to ask about a planted tank? Duh! Plantedtank.net." So here it is: I'm going to set up a low maintenance, low tech planted-only 2.5 gallon mini bow at work.
I'm planning to have a black substrate (either Flourite black sand or Eco Complete). I will have flame moss and subwrasstertang for sure. I also want some hairgrass and some bushy or stem plant that is red, pink, or purple for some contrast. I will also have a Tetra Whisper internal power filter turned all the way down and perhaps also with a sponge across it for some movement (came with the kit). I'm not planning on a heater, but I do have one if needed. I don't want to mess with CO2, but I do have Excel that I can bring in and dose with a dropper if needed.
My questions are:
1. What amount of wattage would be considered medium or high light? I know I need more than the commonly figured 2-4 wpg, but I'm not sure how much I will need. Is 25 watts enough? 35?
2. Should I change a small amount of water daily (say coffee cup amount) or 25% monthly? Some have said small amount daily, others say just once or twice a month.
3. Will I have to worry about ferts? If I do, I think that a prepared fert would be best since it's such a small tank. Something like Flourish.
4. If I do get the Flourite sand, would I need to stir it up at all. I'm thinking no because of the lack of stock. Plus the roots should prevent anaerobic pockets, ehh?
5. Any suggestions for a nice red/pink/purple plant as described above?