Taylor's 12 gallon planted build thread. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Taylor's 12 gallon planted build thread.

Hey guys I just registered and actually started my first planted tank today. I have been keeping reef tanks for the last 5 or so years and want to venture out a little bit. I am starting with a 12 gallon jbj dx tank. I picked up a few things today to get me started. I am deff. looking for experienced people to help me with equipment, supplements, husbandry, etc. Here is a pic of my reef tank right now.

Anyways here is what I did today. I talked to a few people at different LFS's and the all recomended the stuff I bought. Please chime in if you disagree or have any suggestions with the equipment or supplements I have. I will be adding a jbj 70 watt metal halide viper light later this week. Any ideas on a bulb?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:32 PM

Cant wait to see how it turns out, I have been thinking about how this tank would look with a great aquascape
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
im starting a planted tank with the exact same tank as you. its cycling right now.

the lights broke so i removed the lighthood and im in the process of finding a new light for it. maybe something that can clamp onto the side rim of the tank.

anyways, do u find the filter too loud?

My 20 gallon long journal:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

I am only running the sponges right now? It is really quite actually. Are you running the carbon and ceramic things?

Thinking of buying one of these two. Can anyone chime in. Would the 50/50 bulbs be ok?

• 12 inch double lamp fixture
  • 2-18 watt 50/50 straight pin compact fluorescent lamps
  • On / Off switch
  • Built-in ballasts
  • Sleek aluminum housing (7in W x 2 1/2in H)
  • Highly-polished reflector Acrylic lens cover
  • Ideal for Saltwater and Reef Aquariums
  • Dimensions: 12in x 7in x 2 1/2in

• Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 1 x 18watt
  • Dual Actinic 420nm/460nm : 1 x 18watt
  • Lunar Light Moon White : 1
  • Product Dimensions : 12" x 7.25" x 2.5"
  • Total Watts : 36 watt
  • Total Amps : 0.21
  • Configuration: D
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Wow, based on your reef tank (which is spectacular btw) I predict a very successful FW aquascape!

As far as the lights, I don't think 50/50 is good for FW. You'd want a combination of 6,700k+ lighting. The actinic lights don't do as much for FW.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)
I've got that same tank as a freshwater setup too, though I'm using the hood that came with it. There is a link to mine in my signature. The filter being built in is really nice and gives a lot of room to work with, and I found the high setting on the included pump to be ideal for a planted tank. Whats the grate thing you have there though?

|

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 PM
Algae Grower

Outlawboss is right about the actinic lights. As a former reef-keeper myself, I had an addiction to the beautiful hues that only true actinic lighting could produce. I found that going with a mid-low light setup, I was able to supplement some actinic for aesthetic purposes without any bad reactions (no algea problems, normal plant growth continued, and fish appearance intensified!).

If you are looking for more of a high-tech, high-light design, I'd steer clear of the actinics altogether.

I have that same cube (24 gallon ver.) and I love it! It's a low maintanence fern & moss setup that houses a lone puffer. I kept the stock filter and lighting and it's doing fine.
GOOD LUCK!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2009, 10:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Just a few things:

JBJ Viper 70 watt MH is WAY overkill and you may not want to induce that much heat into this tank. You can get a freshwater Aqualight Mini at Drs Foster and Smith I believe it has 2 6700k bulbs in it. Actinics play no useable part in the platned tank other than maybe your personal taste.

Kent R/O Right is not a product I would use. I would recommend going through a vendor such as aquariumfertilizer.com and get the following; KNO3, Kh2PO4, K2SO4, and Tom Barrs GH booster. No need for the Kents as you can adjust the GH with the GH booster. What are you using for water? Pure RO water? You could also do a mix of Dechlorinated tap water and RO water to get the GH you want also. Flourish Comprehensive doesn't contain the NPK that you need and for a tank this size getting the Dry forms is cheaper. You could choose to use the EI or PPS dosing regime.

Flourish Excel is great stuff jsut do your homework as some plants will melt if they get dosed with Excel.

Is that rock Lace Rock? Looks like it might be a lime based rock. If so it will up your PH as it is in the the water.

Carbon isn't really needed. I only use Mechanical filter pads and Bio material in my tank. If you feel the need Purigen is recommended to remove tannins and such from the tank.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-15-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Alright I finally got my light last night. I went with this setup and changed the actinic light with another 6700/10000k . So I have 36 watts of half 6700k half 10000k. It even has a nice moonlight I think today I am going to start dosing excel untill I can figure out what I am doing for c02. With that light what would be a cheaper route? I don't mind buying c02 and a regulator but just don't wan't to spend hundreds on it. I am also planning on getting some plants tonight after class. More pics tonight for sure.

* 2x Dual Daylight 6,700k/10,000k : 18watt
* Lunar Light Moon White : 1
* Product Dimensions : 12" x 7.25" x 2.5"
* Total Watts : 36 watt
* Total Amps : 0.21
* Configuration: D
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay, I crashed early yesterday. I also made an iffy decision to get a german blue ram. Haha

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:28 PM

Looking good. I've been wondering how a 12DX would work out as a planted tank.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to organic sideburns
ive got a 12 gallon dx as well, but the light ballast is broke. it sparked when i turned it on. i dunno what i shud do.

i love that ram, looks so cool

My 20 gallon long journal:

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
that is a blue ram right
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Algae Grower

that ram is incredible.. and that reef is jaw dropping!!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I got the ram a mate and they hang out now after a day of fighting. lol
little update for everyone. bought some plants on ebay. lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode