Return to the hobby with a 1.9 gallon, lighting question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)
Return to the hobby with a 1.9 gallon, lighting question

Hi! I'm back! I'm so glad I didn't sell *all* of my aquarium stuff! I've got just enough left over to re-set up a planted DBP 1.9 gallon for a betta. Dimensions are 12 x 6 x 6. My question is which light should I use: Finnex Stingray clip-on or 12"? It's had a snail, an anubias petite, and a small fern (not sure what kind?) in it for the last 1.5 years, *completely ignored* but still growing ever so slowly from the indirect window light. I picked up some staurogyne repens and Crypt Wentdii to add. I'd like to keep this low tech although I do have Flourish Comp, Excel, O+ tabs, etc from before my hiatus. It's got one of those flat buried heaters for bettas under the black sand substrate and a tiny sponge filter.

I'm hoping to order the light this evening... looking forward to suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Oh come on.....you could definitely make a better "return" ,with a larger size tank ,if you plan to keep a Betta......

Can't come to work today ,Boss......I've got Bolbitis...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

lol, you're right, I could. I'm dying to set up my 15 gallon, but I don't have anywhere to put it. Gonna/gotta keep it simple for now.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPeanut View Post
lol, you're right, I could. I'm dying to set up my 15 gallon, but I don't have anywhere to put it. Gonna/gotta keep it simple for now.
It's for the best ,be patient ,besides ,you could always use mulm or hardscape from the 1.9 gal ,to help cycle the larger one.Good luck ,surely you\re gonna make a fish happy someday ,if not many more!

Last edited by sleepswithdafishez; 04-26-2015 at 07:44 PM. Reason: x
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
It's all about what you feel comfortable with, and what you are willing to do as far as upkeep. The smaller the tank, the more you need to keep on top of water changes. Do that and it'll be fine. Go ahead with your plan.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the support

I still haven't decided on which light to get though, Stingray clip light or 12"? Any input? I'm leaning toward the clip light since there's only about 5" between the water surface and the sand. The last thing I want is an algae problem... But I also want my plants to thrive. What to do?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 03:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
I think you're right about the clip on being better for that small tank.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Aquapeanut, check pet department at your local Meijer's they sell a nice little clip light for about 9 bucks.
If you want to play with spectrum, you can use clear enamels on individual leds for color shifts.

Best of luck, and share some pics of this return rig setup?

Emersed Tub Club #27
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 06:21 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
1.9 gallons is not enough space, IMO. It's not a matter of water quality, it's quality of life that's a factor here for me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We all have opinions on the correct way to do things.

AP, good luck with your new setup, and congrats on returning.

Emersed Tub Club #27
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, everyone! I was waiting for the new light to arrive before I posted pics, and it finally arrived today!

Here is a "before" pic right after I finished setting it up with the old light (10 watt CFL 6500K in a hood), no betta, no background, and newly-planted sad, little plants (April 26):

Here is an "after" pic with Finnex Stingray Cliplight, black background, betta (Patrick), a ramshorn snail, and happier plants (April 30):

The Anubias isn't very happy about all the light. The CFL in a hood was sitting directly on the glass, but now the cliplight is about 3-4" above the glass so hopefully that'll help the anubias without slowing down the other plants too much.

I put a piece of black paper over the anubias for now to shield it. I think I'm going to have to take it out, though, which will be a shame because Patrick likes to sit on its big leaves.

What other plant with big leaves that doesn't mind more light could I switch the anubias for?

Last edited by AquaPeanut; 05-01-2015 at 04:20 AM. Reason: typo
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That looks great!
When you first said 1.9 gal ,I was imagining something like a children's shoebox but it's
way better than the whiskey shots in which Bettas are kept at petshops anyway...
I also keep a Dwarf gourami in a long ,shallow 10g ,though the ideal space for the species would be minimum 15g ......at least he has the length of the tank to swim along.

I wouldn't give up on the Anubias yet ,maybe a more experienced member could point out the deficiency......or try to use a light filter of some sort ,wrapped around the LED on the Anubias side....like a cylinder of thin foldable plastic ,like those transparent notebook covers...
Anubias don't need much light anyway , less would be better in your situation ,you could always remove it when water change and wipe out the eventual algae on the leaves.....that's what I do with mine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode