Liquid CO2 or DIY - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Liquid CO2 or DIY

Hey everyone here is my plant list and I'm going to using the Finnex Fugeray Planted+ in a 7.5g cube do you think DIY C02 or liquid would be the way to go?

Alternanthera reineckii "Mini"

Java Moss (Vesicularia Dubyana)(4 oz portion cup)

Cryptocoryne, Wendtii, Green (Cryptocoryne wendtii)

Anubias, barteri var. barteri

Sword, Red Melon (Echinodorus Barthii v. "red melon")

Limnophila hippuroides (Limnophila aromatica 'hippuroides')
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I run diy in my 30G it works Great plants grow like nuts , not sure on liquid co2 as I've never used it before
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-2015, 10:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Both. Its always good to have excel handy. With the pl+ and a shallow tank, you'll definitely need co2 to keep algae down.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 02:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So when you say both does that mean to run a diy system and dose excel? Because I have both and I can definitely do that
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-22-2015, 01:44 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
With that light I say run both if you have them. In my experience DIY CO2 upped plant growth significantly more than simply using Excel. Algae issues may come from fluctuating CO2 levels, but you may have the same (or worse) without CO2 and planted+ light intensity.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 02:52 AM
Algae Grower

I went from using straight excel to a combination of the two after I built a DIY system. Plants haven't been better. Making the system was honestly very easy after I ordered silicone tubing, and some suction cups off ebay it took me no more than half an hour. Getting the yeast dosing was tricky, but I always add a bit more because yeast is cheap, and having a slight excess of co2 is not a big deal. With that said, you may get algae issues depending on your lighting and maintenance as I get some slight buildup around the submersed tubing and diffuser. Another problem I still currently have is getting a diffuser that will work. Glass diffusers need more stable pressure than what most DIY systems can produce, and I'm currently using the chopstick method. This works fine, but I'm still trying to find a better alternative. Good luck!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 02:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
I have the same exact setup. I only use Excel. Using ~1mL/day it lasts a long time and is therefor super affordable. I also have floating plants and the glass lid which help difuse the light because the Planted+ is very bright. Everything grows very well and I have been fortunate not have any algae issues. I also planted very heavily from day one which helped combat algae.

Bump: Side note: That sword plant might end up being too big for the tank. I had Java Fern that after a few months really dominates the tank, and it looks a lot better now that I took it out and replaced with smaller options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode