Low Tech 7.5 Gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low Tech 7.5 Gallon

After a recent move across the harbor, I’ve made a little time to start up a simple low tech tank. It’s a nice diversion from the busy days of unpacking, and gradually settling in at home.

Equipment:

Mr. Aqua Bow Front 7.5 gallon aquarium

Azoo filter 360 (Even though it’s rated for tanks under 24 gallons, it does not seem overly turbulent for the 7.5 gallon tank)

Lifeguard Ultra Slim Plant LED 18” (It’s rated at 22 PAR at 12”. I’m hoping that will provide at least enough light for low light plants, since it is a shallow tank, about 9.5” tall, with substrate banked up towards the back it will bringing some plants closer to the light.)

No heater. Ambient room temperature is about 68F

Sponge seeded with bacteria from another established planted tank. It should help to kick start the bacteria cycle for this tank over the coming weeks.

Fluval substrate

Plants:

Java fern
Elodea
Dwarf Sagittaria
Hornwort

Fertilization:
A few root tabs only

Creatures:
A few random pond snails that hitchhiked in with the plants. I will start with about 6 Amano shrimp in another week or two, and see how that works out. I don’t plan to add any fish for some months, as I want to minimize feeding and water changes.

After two weeks I decided to do a re-scape. The layout was too boring with the Elodea marching along the back, and the Sagittaria was too tall and out of scale as a foreground plant. So, last weekend I moved the Sagittaria to the back, in case it decides to transform from dwarf to tall strands in a few months. I want to try using Elodea trimmings for a foreground/mid ground accent, for a few months,too. The weed grew slowly during the first two weeks, and I’m hoping that I can play around with Elodea for another month or so while the tank cycles through the usual algae blooms. Then I’ll probably try replace it and try some moss or crypts when the tank is matured. Thanks for having a look!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by rodstewart; 05-07-2015 at 06:17 PM. Reason: update photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-07-2015, 03:53 PM
Algae Grower

Nice

Sustainable Aquaria
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-09-2015, 05:50 AM
Planted Member

Instead of amanos, I would recommend red cherry shrimp since they are more interesting imo and pretty much as hardy. Have you been adding ammonia to the tank? The tank probably wont be cycled yet, due to you having both elodea and hornwort, both soaking up the small amount of ammonia secreted by the snails.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode