10gal Betta Albimarginata: rescue male 10/27 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
10gal Betta Albimarginata: rescue male 10/27

Okay since I'm breeding a rare fish I thought I'd start a little thread for them. I bought a pair of wild caught betta albimarginata (White Seam Fighters). Within two week they bred, and now they have had their babies and bred again!

Here's daddy holding the eggs (you can only see the eggs when he yawns at the moment).

Here is a baby on the first day out of the mouth. He spat out an unknown number but sadly they were sooo small that were able to get out of the breeder, I ended up saving seven of them.

Here is one of the little guys a week or so later. I have set them up in a ten gallon grow out with tons of frogbit, hornwort, riccia, and terra cotta pots. This time around I am going to put daddy in the tank when he is a few days from spitting them out (last time the tank wasn't cycled yet).

Look at that belly! Feeding them crushd snails, cycopseze, and newly hatched brine shirmp (live). Feeding parents live blackworms.

I'll post a pic of the whole tank later.

Other babies: I just had about twenty baby Crystal Red Shirmp hatch, and a dozen or so cherry reds. My CDP have yet to breed that I've noticed. Sigh.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ten gal planted:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

Last edited by Phoenix-cry; 10-27-2009 at 06:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's a really cool-looking betta. Do you have another photo of it that shows the whole fish?
post #3 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks! Here's the whole fish

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

post #4 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here is the female. She turns really dark with white vertical stripes when she's in the....uh...'mood'.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #5 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
This species of betta is so fun! The males are just gems, especially if there's a female in sight. Congrats on the 2 spawns! There are a lot of folks out there who try really hard to get these fish to breed and here you've gone and done it after two weeks of bringing them home! I'm impressed. I can't find any locally for less than $100/pair. Worth it? Maybe. Especially after watching your success with them.

I hope you keep us posted on the growth of these little guys.
post #6 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
Thanks for starting this thread! Your babies are growing very well, and I'm sure that they will be very beautiful!! Congrats on the success of your bettas.

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

-
post #7 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you both! I bought my pair for 80$ and so far it's been worth it, I just love them. Although I was a little upset when they bred a second time...the male had only been eatting for four days! I'm going to have to separate them for a little while to give him a break after this!

I'm hoping to be able to help add to the captive bred population so that people don't have to rely on wild caughts.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #8 of 156 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow...that's a stunning fish I'd never heard of. Much prettier and more interesting than the Betta Walmartus. What'd you have to do to your water for them, if anything?
post #9 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

They don't need anything special done with their water!

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #10 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The babies look like real fish now. I think this may be a little boy.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #11 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Awesome.
post #12 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Wow that looks really cool! What's their adult size?

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #13 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The parents are a little over two inches. They are an awesome fish, I just love them! They are rarely found captive bred in the US and I'm working to change this.

If I can prove to my husband that these guys can bring me some income I think I can talk him into letting me set up a few more tanks devoted to breeding.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:
post #14 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)
That's awesome! Are you going to buy more wild caught parent fish to avoid inbreeding?

"Success is not the goal, it's merely a byproduct!"
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.

-
post #15 of 156 (permalink) Old 04-04-2009, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've got another friend in the area that is captive breeding, not intentionally, his just bred and he didn't do anything about it so he has some fry. So I'm going to get some of those for genetic diversity. As time goes on I'll inject new blood.

My Tanks:
A Dart Frog:

Ten gal planted:

Picotope planted tank:

My Avatar is my Art:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode