post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
ADA Mini-S: Whatevs

Whatever happens, happens.

Ok, specs:

ADA Mini-S.
Single Gauge CO2 regulator.
20oz Paintball tank + free CO2 on first fill.
Dazs Nano Diffuser.
10 feet silicone tubing + Check Valve.
Zoomed 501 Filter.
Archea light with the ADA 27watt bulb.
Seachem Plant Stuff.
Small heater.
ADA Amazon Soil.
-------------------------------------------
Ok, plants:

HC,
Chinese Moss (up top - can't see),
A couple long leafy ones,
Amazon grass,
Driftwood.

Here's the first photo of me setting it up with the driftwood, measuring space:

Photo about a day after planting:

Same day after planting a little further back for perspective:

This was today, about 2.5 weeks in:

I feel like it's growing, but algae is popping up everywhere. I tried dropping two shrimp in about a week ago, stupid me I didn't really check water values... they didn't make it.

So... I don't really have any clue as to what I'm doing. Co2 has no bubble gauge, I turn it until the bubbles come out at an OK rate. I turn it off every night, unless I forget and leave it on. Light is about 8-10hr/day. I dose with a tiny bit of seachem every day to every other day.

Am I doing this right? What's going to happen next? How should I treat this algae? I don't want to put more shrimp in to have them die because I don't monitor water values at all.

I was pretty worried that the wood was going to be too big to let anything grow, and just too big for the tank. I did move the sword from the rear to the front.

Opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 AM
Aroid Addict

PTrader: (76/100%)
Well, I'm sure it looks great...but all I'm seeing is blank. No pics at all

Got Plants?-6 CO2 + 12 H2O → C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for letting me know. Fixed?

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 AM
Aroid Addict

Hey! There it is!

Well, if you have no shrimp or fish or anything in there, I'd just crank up the CO2 and maybe add some Excel if you want to get rid of the algae. Without any fish or anything to be affected by the CO2, you might as well give the plants a good jump to out-compete the algae. Once the plants really get established, the algae should start to die back.

I do see some HC spreading. You've got some growth in there.

BTW, I use that same Zoomed filter on one of my tanks. How do you like yours?

---

Always interested in trades for aroids, carnivores, orchids, ferns, or whatever else you think I might like to try
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I like the wood. It is big, but it's got a ton of character. It'd look great accented with a moss along the legs of the wood.

As for the algae, I'd say start fighting it now. Mainly get your CO2 up. Since you don't have a drop checker, use your HC as a CO2 guide. Increase the CO2 slowly until you see pearling on the HC after a couple of hours of lights on. (FYI, by squirting water into the diffuser, you can use it's U shape for a bubble counter. Aim for one bubble a second and keep the water surface silky smooth.)

You probably don't need ferts so early in the game. Just K. Hold off on the other stuff for a few more weeks.

You're off to a good start.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 AM

looks good so far. your first try was better than mine!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:37 AM

By the way what is HC?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys. I'm going to keep the CO2 pumped up all the time now. That means I don't have to mess around with turning it off and on! That really is a pain in the ass, I see why people use those timers.

The ZooMed works really good, as far as I can tell. It's quiet, I like that. I hate how sometimes air gets trapped in that thing and it takes forever to suck out. I feel like I gotta tilt the thing in 8 different directions to get the air out sometimes. And the pipes are super ugly in the tank. I just let it hang open in the tank.

I actually did tie some moss to the wood, but you can't see it, it's in the back. I really like the moss you use on your tanks, UG. I would love to have done something like that, but couldn't get my hands on any. I think maybe next time, right? How do you resist the urge to tear it all down?

Oh yeah, I have pond snails. I always get those things. You guys have pond snails?

Isn't HC the little green leafy one at the bottom? I dunno, I always get these damn plants mixed up. Judging by my past, the only plant name I've ever really known about is called a dead-plant!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 AM
Aroid Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. in Tennessee View Post
By the way what is HC?
Hemianthus callitrichoides

---

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
You shouldn't need ferts until about the 3rd week or so, since by then the plants should be well established and growing out more. And even then on the 3rd week you can start off with smaller doses.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 04:29 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
I think that is the wrong kind of wood for a tank that small. You need a small piece or two of Manzanita. That big chunk is way out of scale.

For the CO2 you can just order up a drop checker on eBay and inject enough to keep it green. Not a bad start.

More kids than time
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 07:08 AM
Algae Grower

how do you find the single gauge regulator? does it do the job? i mean does it keep consistent CO2 rate once it's set? BTW thats the one on eBay right?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No, I use this one because it was only $19.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Category_Code=

I find it works great. The dial is very very sensitive, but it's not hard to adjust it very lightly to get it where you want. In my mind, it beat spending $100+ and it screws right into a CO2 paintball tank.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

hmm...i dont see an on/off valve for your paintball tank. Does this regulator work on tanks w/o an on/off valve? meaning it has a needle to depress the gas nozzle when you screw it in?
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpwap1 View Post
hmm...i dont see an on/off valve for your paintball tank. Does this regulator work on tanks w/o an on/off valve? meaning it has a needle to depress the gas nozzle when you screw it in?
I don't understand a single word you just said.

All I know is that I bought a 20oz paintball tank from www.paintball-online.com. I went to my local paintball store and they filled it for free. I screwed it into the tank, I put a little tube on it, and I let her fire. She's working good!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode