corporate p's mini m - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
corporate p's mini m

i actually had this fish tank since the beginning of november. i bought it to reward myself from all the overtime and stress i was having from my job. too bad the week after i purchased everything, the work load at the job decreased and i was laid off. i had thoughts of selling everything and this tank definitely added stress in my life. but now, 5 months later this tank is starting to look decent and i'm really glad i kept everything.

one of the reasons it took me so long to start a journal is because i hate trying to remember latin scientific names for plants and fish and i also hate testing the water. so, let me warn you ahead of time...just rate this journal now with a 1 star because this is gonna be the least descriptive journal ever.

so here we go...

equipment:

ada mini m
solar mini m (stock 27watt bulb)
eheim ecco 2232 (flowrate value turned halfway)
5lb co2 tank with milwaukee regulator
eth 200w inline heater

substrate is AS, and i have old black wood from afa and yamaya stone to prop the wood up and hold it down.

plants:
started with glosso, but now i have hair grass
java moss
java fern
and i red stem plant i don't know the name of
crypts

fish:
7 green neon,
7 small sliver fish i don't know the name of
1 guppy
4 cherry shrimp (now about 20)
2 ottos

heres a picture of the tank during initial setup.

a month later with new doaqua lily pipes, diffuser, and 4 cherrys.

these lily pipes were so clean and at this stage, the tank was algae free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)
Wow! What a clean layout! I love it. Any current pictures? It would be great to see how it has filled in.

Don't worry about not knowing the latin names of fish/plants. I think a lot of us don't. I don't know the names of anything until I take an interest in it. Otherwise, it becomes "that plant with the cool leaves."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

heres some old pictures of my tank...

disaster...this was taken around xmas. at this time, we introduced all the fish (list above) and every single type of algae known to man (thanks to lfs). i don't think the bio. filter was at 100%, we were over feeding the fish, and there was this constant struggle between the glosso and algae. when i had the photo period at 8 hrs, the glosso would run and grow low, but the aglae would bloom. when i cut the photo period down, the algae prob. would get better, but the glosso starts to grow up. i couldn't figure it out.

me tryin to be artistic...

jan. 07

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the comp. outlawboss.

to be honest with you, i really didn't like the layout at that time. the wood and the rocks were placed too far back. i only had enough space to plant one row of stem plants on the right side of the tank. plus cleaning the glass was a pain...the space was really tight and every time i hit the wood it would shift and droop down. i also didn't like the placement of the rocks. it looked to centered and unnatural.

so i decided to rescape the tank...kind of...
jan. 21

i used wood tie and secured the wood together, shifted the rocks towards the right and forward, threw away a lot of the moss because of algae and attempted to retie clean moss on the wood, moved the java fern which use to sit on top of the rocks and moved it directly in front of the driftwood, and bought some rolata green. sorry for the run on sentence.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-25-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

at the time of the rescape, i changed the ferts from brighty k and step 1 to EI. the plants started to flourish and the algae began to disappear. i think i figured out why my algae was getting out of control.

i don't know what these silver fish are called but theyre really fragile. a month after a bought the fish, one lost its eye and eventually died. another died from an unknown cause. i also had a guppy that jumped out. i found it, threw it back in the tank, but eventually died. i never noticed any of these fish die and they just rotted away inside the tank. the ammonia spike probably cause the insane staghorn problem i had for months.

heres some more pics of the tank...

jan. 28

ripped out the glosso and put in hair grass.

waiting for rolata greed to grow pass the water line. i was duped.

feb. 9

post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

it just occurred to me that i only take pictures after heavy trimmings. heres some updates from yesterday, april 2.

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Love it! Looks awesome with the changes you made.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

thanks UG. coming from you, that really means a lot. hopefully this tank will look as good as yours someday.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter

i might as well post my to do list or "to do when i finally come across some cash list":

-buy pipe brushes.
-find 90 degree elbows for the filter tubes.
-transition plants between dwarf hair grass and rolata greens.
-co2 drop checker
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

i rescaped my tank over the weekend. but before i continue, i guess i should fill in what happened in the last 4 months or so.

i changed the carpet from glosso to hair grass and back to glosso. took out the rolata green and bought other stem plants that have more browns and reds. my cherry shrimp exploded from 4 to +50. my girlfriend fell in love with micro rasboras and bought 10. that brought the number of fish in the tank to +20. it sounds bad, but with all the vegetation in the tank, bi weekly WC kept everyone happy.

heres some before pictures...

did i mention that i was following the dosing regime for a 10 gallon and pumping 2-3 bps of co2.

Last edited by corporate p; 06-30-2009 at 12:54 AM.
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

now for the rescape. last week i went over to the bonsai store, in japantown, and bought some rocks. I decided to go for an iwagumi layout because im lazy. i hated trying to scrub the glass around the wood and stem plants. trimming less is also a plus.

all that for 7 dollars...and they even gave me a wet nap to clean my hands right after.

i decided to rescape my tank saturday, which was a really bad idea. saturday was the beginning of a heat wave here in the bay and it was 90 degrees my apt for most of the day. that and the nitrate i disturbed in the AS was probably the cause of about 20 shrimp deaths. :...(

heres the tank...

it was so hot, my stem plants wilted in the heat during the rescape.

and the survivors...

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Nice tank! You should clean the lily pipes to give it a neat clean look overall
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

thanks. yeah i know...i never got around to buying pipe brushes.
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's a really nice tank, and some great pictures too.

- three years old at this point

My
- retired

The 50 Gallon
- retired
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 06-30-2009, 01:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (10/100%)
Here is a cheap one $0.59 + shipping ~$6 but you can probably stock up at lot of cheap stuff (check the clearance section).

http://www.fish.com/item/aquatic-edg.../790007%20001/

There is no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode