Aqua One Aquanano 40 - Tropica 90 days app - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Aqua One Aquanano 40 - Tropica 90 days app

Good afternoon!

So my story begins.. I have purchased a Aqua One Aquanano 40 tank. Ive had it for a couple weeks and I'm using the Tropica 90 days app

Substrate - Tropica aquarium soil, with black roman gravel over the top.
Tropica canister Co2
Tropica premium fertilizer

BTW im not a sales rep for tropica.
Random wood, not sure exactly what, had a mould outbreak but seems to be dying off now after 1 clean.

Plants.
Echinodorus Tenellus - Carpeting plant at the front. It has really taken off from day 1.
Echinodorus Aquartica x2 - planted at the back right side. Had a few leaves rot and I have removed but new growth coming in.
Limnophila Sessiliflora - behind the wood. used as a "supporting plant" basically a plant that grows quick to help reduce nutriets in water
Tiger Lotus - died in the post unfortunately. I lay the bulb on top of the aquarium floor but it started to rot so I binned it. In some ways im please I don't have it in as it would probably block out the light to the carpet plants.

Im fighting a battle with snails and Im using a mixture of techniques, Im sucking the visible eggs out daily with a syphon. Starting today Im using lettuce on the bottom aswell.

I have an amano shrimp in there that seems pretty happy in helping against algae although he seems to prefer the wood. Hasn't eaten any fungus at all.

This is my 1st open top aquarium and I learnt that Amano shrimp are excellent escapologists. I have lost 4 of the 5 I purchased, I found them dried out.

pictures to follow in a couple mins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is day one, using glass over the wood to keep it weighted down.

Bump:

On this picture you can see the fungus, it started almost see through. It developed little air bubbles inside of the slime. I then took it out of the tank and wiped down, theres a couple bits that I missed but im not concerned. In my experience it will ie completely within a few month

Bump:

This picture is a week later. Nothing living in tank other than those bastard snails. I also added second bit of driftwood

Day 16 today taken 5 mins ago. I have attatched lettuce to the wood in the hope it attracts snails.

You can see that the Tenellus is really taking off. Im surprised that the limnophila isn't doing to good, I have grown this plant in the past and it gre out of control. I think the Echinodorus Aquartica are also starting to feel at home after old leaves removed.

Last edited by dan300r; 04-03-2015 at 07:52 PM. Reason: update
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:36 PM
dru
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I think you need more substrate

Chain sword like to propagate out about 2" into the substrate

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode