Help me set up a new low maintenance planted nano shrimp tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help me set up a new low maintenance planted nano shrimp tank

I'm not new to aquariums, I've had aquariums for ~25 years. A few community tanks at first, then I kept a Jack Dempsey for 14 years. After he passed I converted his tank to african cichlids for the last few years. I'm familiar with water parameters, cycling, etc. I am however new to nano tanks, plants and invertebrates.

I have a 24" wide L shaped desk in my office that I'd like to put a tank on. I'm thinking about 10 gallons, but open to other options. The edge I'd like to put the tank on is directly to my left and has about 30" clearance above it. There is plenty of space further to the left for HOB filters, or even canister filter on the floor. I'm only in that office 4 days per week so that's part of the reason for low maintenance. I don't mind spending money on good equipment, I've learned the hard way you get what you pay for. I also don't mind working on the tank myself and assembling the parts, I don't need a complete kit, but I'm open to one.

My original thinking is for some easy shrimp, a few snails and some plants. I've been going back and forth about having fish or not but they may overly complicate things. On the other hand do they provide nitrates and CO2 for the plants?

I'm a little overwhelmed by the tank choices. One main criteria is I need to have a nice lid. The cabinets above the tank are steel and I think over time they may rust with the humidity. It would also keep the cleaning people from spraying chemicals into the tank while wiping the cabinets. Rimless would be nice.

I don't think I want to add CO2, but maybe that's because I'm not familiar with it. I think it goes against my low maintenance goal. I also don't want to have to trim the tank every week.

I'm confused about filters. With my fish I've always over filtered but they don't mind the flow. Is a HOB or canister filter too much for shrimp? Is a sponge filter too little flow for plants? Are there any more elegant/hidden solutions to keep shrimp from getting sucked into the filter than the standard sponge over the intake?

Those are my thoughts. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tank?
Lights?
Filter?
Plants?
Critters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Don't do CO2, it's not needed and shrimp don't like it.
No fish except maybe oto cats.
An aquaclear HOB with a prefilter is good for filtering.
Cherry shrimp are pretty and inexpensive.
Fugeray makes a decent LED light.
Plants: moss, anubias, crypts, vals, sagitteria- etc- they like plants.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Oncethe tank is establish and the shrimp have settled in, you really only need to do minimal feedings since they will scavenge the tank. If your looking for a 10g Id reccomend getting one with an incandescent hood and screwing in cfls instead, that way you get more flexibility in lighting. Rimless with a lid kind of defeats the point of rimless (imho even glass tops take away from the look). Cherry shrimp dont mind curent, ive actually seen them surf on my airlift tubes flow before, just dont make a vortex in the tank and you should be fine. Panty hose over the filter intake is a bit less obvious than a foam block, you can also use a matten filter, my shrimp love hanging out there in my tank, just be mindful baby shrimp are TINY.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for the tips so far. I really like the idea of a matten filter. I think a corner set up would be ideal for me.

Right now I like the ideas of basic 10 gallon tank, glass lid, with cherry shrimp. I need to research the pants and lighting a bit more.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode