my first 10g planted tank....on a budget - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (9/100%)
my first 10g planted tank....on a budget

this is my first planted tank besides my 40g (that my cichlids like digging up the plants so i cant have anything too nice) and i am new to the forum and saw some things i never seen before so i thought id give a planted tank with community fish a chance.. id appreciate any advice.. the tank is a 10g from walmart i took the top plastic off because it looks alot better and i have 2 lamps with 65k 13watt lights. like the title says im on a budget so i just have a cheap filter and no fancy lights with black sand.. i also have excel and the tabs.. let me know if you think this is a good start...i just realized im horrible and getting a picture of how it really looks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tank 002.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	12535  

Name:	tank 003.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	12536  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks good. All my suggestions are aesthetic so just take them for what you will:

The drift wood looks good overall, but I'd take out the little piece in the foreground. Either move it back or take it out completely.

I'd clamp both lights to the back wall, symetrically spaced several inches apart. It will look less obstructive that way versus having them on the sides.

And paint your back black!

Nice start.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The scape with that sand looks a lot like a jurassic oil pit with dino bones sticking out (especially that back left piece). I like it!

Any ideas on plants at this point?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like your off to a great start.

My planted tank. 55 gallon fluorite substrate over soil, 64 watts of light, excel twice a week. Weekly water changes. Angelfish pair, guppies, BN plecos and otos. Redone 11/13/2012
One non planted tanks. 75 gallon.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:00 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakin View Post
The scape with that sand looks a lot like a jurassic oil pit with dino bones sticking out (especially that back left piece). I like it!
I thought the same thing!!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You should rename this thread the La Brea Biotope.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thanks for all the comments and suggestions, i did move the front piece back a little and stuck it down more. so you can see about two inches of it and its like an inch high, il have pics when i get my plants in ( hopefully tomorrow) and for the plants so far im having some anubias nana, java fern, dwarf hg , and im going to make a carpet with slate rock and some xmass moss, any advice on where you think the plants should go would be great, i wanna get more plants too i just dont know what??? also for the lights i dont think my roomate would let me drill into the wall..
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i got the plants in it looks like the weather got the anubias but im sure thely get their color back in a few days, the hair grass was very limited, and i made three little carpets with the xmass moss.. im not to happy about how it looks but i think when it grows in itl look better, any advice? also on additional plants?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank 005.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	12572  

Name:	tank 006.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	12573  

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-19-2009, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

im also thinking of covering the "finger" looking piece up front with moss so it wont look so awkward
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i cant get the water to stop being cloudy now
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 03:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
could it be bacteria boom since it is new tank? I kind of had it for couple days when setting up mine last month.
by the way, could you elaborate on how you removed the rim? rimless tank looks much better and I would love to do it on mine.

10 gallon Walmart tank, DIY CO2, HOB filter (sponge and ceramic ball) and coralife T5 (2x14W normal output). Dwarf hairgrass, rosetta sword, anubias and Brazilian pennywort. And that gree dust algae that I can never truly get rid off
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thats what im thinking it is but shouldnt that have gona away its been over a week.. and its really easy to remove the rim. just get a razor and stick it up between the plastic and glass on both sides. then pull it off, but not to hard or the glass could brake, then for the next hour use the razor to scrape the remaining silicone off... and i will get some updated pics of the tank when my water clears up, the hg is started to fill in, but the anubias did not survive shipping
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 01:32 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)
Any updates on this tank? I'd like to see how everything turned out. I'm new to this forum and am getting into the planted tank look. So far I only have java moss in there because I don't want to get plants that will just waste away in there haha. Is excel aquarium soil you put under your sand?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode