20l Nano, need alittle help with lighting. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
20l Nano, need alittle help with lighting.

Hello there! Please go easy one me This is my first post here after lurking abit My appoligse if this is in the wrong forum, please dont beat me to bad if it is!

I have a nano tank that i am currently setting up and after spending the last few weeks pondering what lighting to use with it have now decided to cry for help

The cube is 12" wide by 9.5" deep. I was looking at trying to get around 18-24watts of light over the little cube. Ideally the lighting will fit within the dimensions of the cube and sit on top of it.

I have looked at the Arcadia Arc Pods and while they are quite nice and compact, they arent very bright and the colour of the light produced by the bulb itself is very blue/pink. Not only that but for what they are, they seem quite expensive.

Another lighting option i have looked at was HaiYang Clip-On T5 Compact Aquarium Light Unit ( http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/cat...-lamp-unit.asp ). While this fits well within my budget it does have afew draw backs. It being a totally self contained unit means that when the time comes to change the bulb i have to throw the whole unit away....not to enviroment friendly! The second issue is that i have no idea what the colour spectrum of the bulb is and the companys website gives very little away

The thing i stumbled upon late last night was a bunch of lights made by a company called Coralife or Oceanic systems. Two products made by them caught my eye, a Aqualight Deluxe - Double Linear Strip and a Mini Aqualight Deluxe - Double Linear Strip. The Aqualight Deluxe comes in a 12" version which would be perfect and the Mini Aqualight Deluxe comes in a 9" version which would also do the job (http://www.oceanicsystems.com/produc...near-strip.php and http://www.oceanicsystems.com/produc...near-strip.php). The only downside to these is i cant find a single uk retailer that sells them.....so they would have to come from the U.S and the shipping costs alone are equal the cost of the product themselfs

So i am at a loss! I am open to any suggestions based on the three products above, if anyone knows a UK retailer that stocks those light made by Coralife then please point me in there direction

Other than that.....any other lighting solutions about worth considering? Any help would be fantastic and if it helps you lot out at all i am living in England....the main reason why the Coralife lighting is sort of a problem

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Algae Grower

You guys have some cool stuff over there that we don't have. I want a clip on T-5!

I don't think I'll be much help since I'm in the states--other Euro users should chime in.

I can tell you that coralife makes a decent product, I've had their CFs before. Those 10k/actinic split bulbs aren't designed for freshwater, they're for salt. And they don't make the 12 incher in a freshwater version. You may get enough out of the 10Ks though that it doesn't matter.

Do you get current products over in the UK? If so, check out their 12 inch models.

The thing that stinks about the aqualight mini is that you can't attach mounting legs to it unless you do a DIY job. Why they make them like that is beyond me.

The other option is simply putting screw-in CF bulbs in to a regular socket. Have you thought about that? That's what I'm trying on my new setup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Hey Fishwood thats for the reply

Ive seen very few Coralife products being sold by UK retailers. From what i remember i did see some retailers selling marine standalone tubes and possibly some liquid products for marine setups (i think they were anyway), but no cool lamps like the ones i mentioned.

By CF do you mean compact fluro? Its not something i had thought about using but if it works then it works I checked out your thread/journal in your sig, are you using the black light houseing/reflector with the CF? It looks pritty damn cool, was it custom made/DiY or purchased like that? If i could find something like that here then i think i would have to strongly consider it.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, by CF I mean compact fluorescent. I am using a screw in CF bulb in the stock housing fixture that came with the tank--no DIY projects. Any hood that normally holds an incandescent bulb can take a CF, provided that it's the same diameter of socket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode