Plant crisis please help urgent - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Plant crisis please help urgent

Can you tell me what happnd to my plants I am using SEACHEM fertilisers and tomorrow I am gonna do a 50% water change and I have a one black Molly one albino corydora and one normal corydora and one night goby (excuse the spell mistake)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 05:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (50/100%)
Couple things. How deep do you have the Sword planted. If the crown is too deep the plant will perish. Roots should be under the substrate but not the part where all the leaves come together at the base of the plant. Using root tabs will also help the Sword. They are heavy root feeders. The other plant(looks like Val) won't tolerate Flourish Excel. Don't know if your using it or not, but if so that could be the problem with the Val.
Also 50%+ water changes every week will help the plants greatly.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Are you sure that's a sword plant? It almost looks like Anubias lanceolata or A. frazeri. If it's anubias, it's dying because you buried the rhizome in the gravel.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (50/100%)
Very likely it is Anubias. Don't know why I said Sword.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

No the rhizome is on the top of the gravel and the roots are buried but still they started to rot

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here is the pic

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

And now after the light screen

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2015, 06:17 AM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

What kind of light do you have and what is the lighting schedule? What is the water temp? Are these new plants or existing? If existing did it just happen suddenly and they were fine before? I have similar issues in my tank and I attributed it to not enough light and/or fertilizer.
I have the same grass like plant that is having the same issue. I also killed some in the beginning when my water temp was too high. Maybe there is not enough fertilizer. Sorry not much help, just throwing some ideas out there. I am curious too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am using a 30watt light and water changes weekly but did a water change after 2 weeks dosing SEACHEM fertz twice as described and a DIY co2 and the temperature is normal like 20 degree Celsius and plants are from shop they were clear as it should be before now they all having diatoms on that got 4 fishes and running a internal filter with ceramic rings and a sponge. The lightening. Schedule is not automatic currently manually so roughly 8 hours a day.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
My experience with this type of rot is that it spreads. I would remove this plant from the water and examine it for any more rot. Cut out any that you find and discard that part. I soaked mine in a bleach (I might have used h2o2 I forget) mixed with water after that and then returned it to the tank. While you are at it take a toothbrush and clean the remaining brown scum off the leaves etc.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Actually my all Anubis are started to rot now I can see the same stuff on there rizhone and leaves are just about to come off I am really sad I don't know what's happening to my plants n I spend hell lot of money o my setup

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I shift to pll from led and the brown diatoms are going off by rubbing they are kind of scratchy not slippery

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Guys RIP to Anubis have a look

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

So sorry to hear about the little guys. As Bruce said take out any anubias that seems to be affected and brutally cut the soft part of that rhizome. The rhizome(part from which roots and leaves come out) should be hard to the touch.

I can think of two reasons why this might have happened. 1... The plant were planted to deep or crammed into a corner with no problems little waterflow. Try moving the remaining plants off the substrate onto a piece of wood or rock, into open water, away from other plants. 2... You Have a macro missing. Did you add a phosphate or nitrate or other 'removing ' media to your filter?

Can you think of the answer for this question:
What changed from the time when the anubias were growing? (2-4 WEEKS ago maybe)

On hiatus till later this year
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:59 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepamar View Post
I am using a 30watt light and water changes weekly but did a water change after 2 weeks dosing SEACHEM fertz twice as described
FWIW, I am using Seachem Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Flourish Comp and Excel on a small 5G tank that I feel would be a bit inaccurate with dry ferts, and I am finding that I have to dose at 5-10 times the 'Beginner' recommendation on the Nitrogen/Phosphorus bottle in order to reach and maintain a decent nitrate (10-20ppm) and phosphate (1-2ppm) level. I am also having to dose twice the amount of flourish to fight signs of iron deficiency.

I strongly recommend picking up nitrate and phosphate test kits to get an idea in your head of what your actual fertilizer levels are.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode