Fish choices... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fish choices...

I'm looking for good fish for a 5 gallon tank. It'll have some plants in it, but I'm not sure what yet.

Any relatively easy to find fish are what I'd like as I'm limited to PetSmart for my fish. The nearest LFS is over an hour away.

So, anyone got a favorite fish okay for a 5 gallon? I'd like moderate activity level, not fish like my Serpae tetras who hide most of the time...

36g-- 2 female axolotls// 10g --3 6" axoltols (Dirty/blue gill lucy (rehoming)) // 40 gallon breeder -- 4.5 inch Painted Turtle // 29 gallon -- 1.5 inch painted turtle //

Last edited by TurtleShark; 03-25-2015 at 10:20 PM. Reason: fix typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 PM

A Betta fish will be good for your tank

Bump: Or Boraras maculatus, pigmy corys... You have a list of small fish at the top of this section
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I've been looking over the list. I just wanted some suggestions as to which would be best for the tank.

I'd love the Boraras maculatus but petsmart doesn't carry them, I'm afraid. I like Ember Tetras as well but again there's none at PetSmart. Really wish someone would get around and put a real pet store up here... Maybe I will one day And I've never really like bettas too much and never have had any luck with them for some reason

36g-- 2 female axolotls// 10g --3 6" axoltols (Dirty/blue gill lucy (rehoming)) // 40 gallon breeder -- 4.5 inch Painted Turtle // 29 gallon -- 1.5 inch painted turtle //

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 10:50 PM

And lyretail delta guppy?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2015, 11:24 PM
Planted Member

Beta male. You can pet them and feed them by hand too. Not scared of anything.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
PetSmart carries male Endler guppies. Also neon tetras, nerite snails, ADFs, and regular guppies(both male and female). German Blue Rams. SOMEtimes male Apistogramma cacatuoides. Otocinclus sp. What was the problem you had with bettas? Bettas need heaters, filters, food and, water changes. Just like any other tropical fish.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
A nice pure Class of endlers would look good in the tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnRon
Well if you're going to be a noob I guess you should go all out........
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Sparkling gouramis are my go-to for tiny tanks. Kinda uncommon at Petsmarts though.

I always thought a bunch of Otto would be fun for a 5gal. Just gotta keep up with their appetite for greens.

ROAK Club Member #141
|~|
|~|
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 05:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Never seen Trichopsis at any of my PetSmarts. I'm jealous, lol. The fanciest at any I visit is Apistogramma cacatuoides, Threadfin rainbows, and occasionally Celbes rainbows.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2015, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
You might consider ordering your fish online... I've had good luck ordering from The Wet Spot in Portland, OR. Invertebrates by Msjinkzd usually carries a good selection and is also a TPT sponsor.

I don't think Petco will carry many of the micro fishes, I've never seen them there either.

7g nano, a work in progress

3g semi-emersed bowl

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-30-2015, 08:59 PM
kep
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
There is a sticky in this section with a nano fish list. I went through it a while back and there are lots of great ideas.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=31095

I have a 9g and just stocked with Rec Cherry Shrimp and Fire Ember Tetras. The tetras only get to about an inch long and like their name suggest, are a bright red/orange and add a nice pop to the tank.

|
|

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 03:58 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am really enjoying my clown killifish...they are in a heavily planted, minimally filtered tank with the remaining red cherries, and they are eating all the daphnia that pop up and figured out flakes right away. Just beautiful, they stay in the upper half of the tank and watching them hunt is fun.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2015, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aulonocara_Freak View Post
A nice pure Class of endlers would look good in the tank

This is what I plan on putting in my 4.5g. Great looking fish and their cheap and easy to care for. CPD's would be another favorite but you won't find at petsmart.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode