CPD Project - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
CPD Project

So I've been wanting these fish for a while now, but they're usually super pricy and I hadn't seen them @ too many of my LFS. Saw a tank full of 1/4 inch ones this week going @ $6 a pop so I picked up a group of 5.

I set up a 2.5 gallon for them, added some gravel from my established tank, put together a DIY sponge filter, and loaded it up with duckweed and some Java moss. The plan is to get them to a decent size and then start breeding them and try to raise the fry.

Tank: 2.5 Gallon AGA

Light: 18 watt T8 strip

Filtration: Air powered DIY sponge filter

Flora: Duckweed and Java Moss

Fauna: 5 x Celestial Pearl Danios

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-21-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They were pretty skittish when they were first added, but that seems to be slowly improving. I've tried feeding them crushed up flakes and they have nibbled a little bit, but they haven't really responded yet. Hopefully they will begin to feed with gusto once they are settled in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20150321_001.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	449745  

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-22-2015, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
That...is one heck of a sponge filter....

They supposedly also eat daphnia, and relish mosquito larvae.

Here's a thread on the CPD forum about tubbing:
http://celestialpearldanio.com/forum...&t=54&start=30
Something to think about in case the guppies and other pearl danios start to bore you!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

CPDs refused to eat after 3 days, so I moved them to my 20H display were they have done just fine. Havn't got much bigger though. I'm planning on taking the sponge filter out and running this tank with just an airstone and planting heavy. Will update once it's up and running

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do you know if they're wild caught or not? If they are, you may want to try feeding them with live food (my small D. tinwini can take down blackworms twice their size, I bet that your CPD's can too). Even if they aren't, you can get them to grow quite quickly with live foods anyways.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-11-2015, 05:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

They're tank bred and were eating flake at the store. They're eating flake in the tank their in now... will try feeding them some frozen food I use for my saltwater later

My 20 Gallon Low Tech

35 Gallon Kettle Pond

Twin 2.5 Gallon Nanos

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode