Mini S: Paths - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Mini S: Paths

I threw down the money and couldn't be happier with my decision. Purchased from Aqua Forest Aquarium in SF is my very first nano!
The specs of this Micro S:

Lighting
I chose to use two 13W Normande Office Mate Jrs. that I came across at Fry's. No doubt there are much prettier options out there, but I found these for cheap. They actually look much better than i thought they would after bringing them home and setting em' up. This has to be due to the placement in their natural habitat, a desk. I can't see them looking nearly as good if placed else where.

Filtration
Zoo Med 501 bought with a discount.

CO2
I will be mixin' up some DIY later today. It will be diffused through a tiny Do aqua that looks really neat.

Substrate
Covering the bottom will be Aqua Soil Amazonia, in powder form! I absolutly love the feel of this stuff. Its like little warm hail balls.

Fertilizers
Natural Aquarium Goods Brighty K and a tiny bit of Green Brighty Step1. After I feel more comfortable with this tank I will be dosing a little more.

Rocks
The rocks are from AFA, with the three main ones fresh out of a tank they are redoing.

Plants
Im planin' on using Hemianthus Callitrichoides for a fun ground cover. If i get tired of these little guys ill use some Glossostigma from my ol' 10 gallon. I also have some really thin short grassy stuff. I don't remember what it's called. Their green if that helps.

Here's what i have so far:

This seems like the perfect place to reiterate how new i am to aquascaping. I could really use all the help I can get. Suggestions, criticisms, and even insults. I would like to hear it all.

Oh. And hello. I'm Hail.

Last edited by Hail; 03-25-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Congratulations!

So far your post is hilarious. Keep that part up no matter what happens.

I seem to recall those rocks from the 'scape they tore down, but I can't remember how they had them placed. It was the 'scape in which they used Mini Microsword and Dwarf Hairgrass exclusively. In it's prime, it was my secret favorite. (It didn't have all the flash of their bigger tanks, but it was a beauty. I think she liked me, too.)

Anyway, so far you're off to a great start. Go slow, make mistakes, ask questions, make more mistakes, learn from the mistakes the second time around, and you'll do just fine. (Even better if you learn after the first mistake. But I've yet to see that happen.)
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to timme278
i agree... its funny... dont lose that

subscribed I WANT MOREEEE......

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 04:17 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
looks like it'll be a good looking tank
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ugly Genius, Being entertaioning is the least I can do. It just seems wrong to come here demanding help while offering nothing in return. You give some pretty good advice, however, you didn't say anything about mistakes made a third, or fourth time.

timme278- Thank you and more to come!

Thank you Punisher Vette. I really hope it will turn out nicely.

This was taken while planting.

What I have planted so far.

Whats new is the Aquasoil now has a better gradient, there is water on top of it, and some plants inside it.
Also, my filter is in.

When I filled her (my tank) up with water I found far too much entertainment out of watching little clusters of Aquasoil pellets group together around air bubbles. Some would float to the top and others would just roll on the ground. It was a bit creepy.

People might want to know that my schedule is erratic. If you really don't care and just want to look at pretty pictures, skip this part. In fact you might want to skip this whole thread- I really have no idea what I'm doing when using a camera.
Anyways my schedule is erratic. Lots and lots of work and studying. Some days I become so swamped with things to do that I consider it a total waste of time to walk down then back up my stairs to get some food. I usually try to take one trip carrying more than is safe or reasonable. Days like this working on my nano is mostly out of the picture. Other days are completely different. It is these days that I have time to plant, mess around/mess up, or just enjoy every single sprig of my plants.
In other words, I doubt I will be able to religiously post, but I will do my best to try.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-07-2009, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
Wow I think it'll look good when it fills in!

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's what I'm hoping for zoo!

3/7/09

Whats new here is more plants!
I had a bit of time and I believe it turned out quite nicely, but what do I know.

3/8/09

The tank seems to be doing well so far. My plants are still alive if that counts for something. Although, it is only a couple of days in. A little too soon to start singin' praises of my green-thumbliness.

I fave a few more things to plant here and there in some hard to reach places, other than that, this tank is how I pictured it.
I might add another species somewhere, but I still have no idea of what type.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
It looks good so far. That hair grass will take over, but it will look great in doing so

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

clwatkins10- I take it hairgrass is a very fast grower. Thanks for the heads up. I guess I will let it fully fill in, then just start trimming it all the time. If it becomes too mush of a hastle ill rip their skinny feet out of the ground and switch to something else.

Ive been looking at my little bubbles.
Not much of my CO2 is being absorbed. Even with it positioned so that the water flow is catching some bubbles and churnin' em' up, most are just floating themselves to the top. How bad would it be for me to scooch my diffuser over to my zoo med filter intake? Would this corrode and eventually destroy my filter?
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail View Post
How bad would it be for me to scooch my diffuser over to my zoo med filter intake? Would this corrode and eventually destroy my filter?
It won't do any harm to the filter, the CO2 bubbles aren't big enough to do damage. It'll just get even more diffused through the filter media then go into your tank.

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)
you took the sticker off your ADA
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris127 View Post
you took the sticker off your ADA
Or maybe he accidentally made the back of the tank the front

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Are you saying that positioning would be a good idea zoo?

Chris and Zoo and everyone else wondering:

The tank has a scratch on the front. When I went in to return it to AFA they were extremely helpful. Unfortunitely, the rest of their stock has the same problem. They gave me a couple options, I could either return my tank and wait for a new shipment, or I can accept a discount for the tank I originally had, which has the smallest scratch. I hate waiting so I went with the discount.
Now I'm left with a tank with a scratch on the front. I then decide to use the back for a couple reasons. Due to my OCD, having a scratch on the front would be unacceptable. Everytime I looked at my tank, which, for me is suppost to be a calming retreat, I would find the scratch and get a bit upset. However, that very same disorder would drive me insane with the lack of the ADA sticker, unless I rationalized it to myself.
That is when a couple scenarios came to mind.
It would be nice if someone says to me, "That's an awesome ADA you have!"
To me, it would be so much better if someone instead says, "Your tank has amazing craftsmanship!"
What I'm sayin' is that my nano should be judged, not on the brand, but on the quality of the tank itself.
Writing this out was more to get my thoughts on paper, so to speak, than anything else.

On second thought, is it possible to get the actual sticker?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Quote:

The tank has a scratch on the front. When I went in to return it to AFA they were extremely helpful. Unfortunitely, the rest of their stock has the same problem. They gave me a couple options, I could either return my tank and wait for a new shipment, or I can accept a discount for the tank I originally had, which has the smallest scratch. I hate waiting so I went with the discount.
Now I'm left with a tank with a scratch on the front. I then decide to use the back for a couple reasons. Due to my OCD, having a scratch on the front would be unacceptable. Everytime I looked at my tank, which, for me is suppost to be a calming retreat, I would find the scratch and get a bit upset. However, that very same disorder would drive me insane with the lack of the ADA sticker, unless I rationalized it to myself.
To me, it would be so much better if someone instead says, "Your tank has amazing craftsmanship!"
What I'm sayin' is that my nano should be judged, not on the brand, but on the quality of the tank itself.
Writing this out was more to get my thoughts on paper, so to speak, than anything else.

Your reasoning is completely understandable. These tanks (the ADA ones with the clearer/ thicker glass) scratch easier because the clearer glass is softer than the greener glass. I don't think that you can buy an ADA sticker though

-Chris

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 07:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Quote:

Your tank should be judged on your selection of flora, fauna, hardscape, and aquascape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode