5g Fluval Chi... Just getting back into the hobby - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
5g Fluval Chi... Just getting back into the hobby

Here is my 5 gallon Fluval Chi. This is my first post and I have been browsing for about a month but I just registered. I'm really having fun and I can't wait to get my Finnex Fugeray Planted+ clip light and a different filter. The stock lighting is abysmal and a third of the LEDs work half the time. I just added the cherry barbs and I am giving the pleco to a friend soon. I also have a male betta. The plants are Anubias Nana, Java Fern, and an Amazon Sword (not sure what kind). I attached the plants to the driftwood with super glue. Just a dab. I dose liquid ferts and CO2 liquid.

I am just getting back into the hobby after a long time. When I was last into it CF lights were just hitting the market and I set up a 6g Eclipse tank with a retrofitted CF light from ahsupply.com and I had DIY CO2 and my plants grew great.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forum and learning as much as possible!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2657-2.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	383.4 KB
ID:	442138  

Name:	IMG_2653-2.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	442146  

Name:	IMG_2632.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	343.1 KB
ID:	442154  

Name:	IMG_2591.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	442162  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 04:03 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Welcome! Your tank looks great. I would take back the cherry barbs though. They need much more space than a 5 gallon tank, IMO.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, would they be ok in a 10g?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 03:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
The barbs would probably be better in a 10g. I don't know why the lfs even sells common plecos when they know you need a 500g+ tank for them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 08:14 PM
Algae Grower

I have the 5g Fluval Chi as well... but how the hell is the filter and lighting enough for your plants?!?! Mine all melted away.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2015, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am replacing the filter and light unit for a small HOB filter and a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ clip light. The lighting now is awful. My sword was doing okay for almost a year but it started melting last week and I'm not sure if it will come back or not. I'm hoping with the liquid ferts, liquid CO2, and a Flourish Root Tab under it it will survive until I get the light. I'll probably move the cherry barbs and add a few once I get my 10g set up. I'm hoping my friend will take the Pleco soon. I have a lot to learn but I am really having fun with it!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

Welcome! I've had my Chi up and running for about 5 years now. I got rid of the stock light and filter after the first week, and it was the best thing I have ever done for the tank. I will say this, the tall square shape makes it a little more of a challenge to scape with all that vertical space, but they can look really great. For the last four years I ran a Finnex Epcoh 26w PC fixture and an Aquaclear 20, and in the last 6 months I switched out to a TruAqua Type-P LED and a Red Devil Canister filter. I've always gone towards the higher side of light output due to the depth, but I think that a Planted +R will do great as well (I have one on the 3g picotope next to it). It looks like you've got a great start, and I can't wait to see what you do with your Chi. I've included a couple of pictures of how mine is currently running. Good luck!

|
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:10 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Wow! Your tanks are amazing! I love how you utilized the vertical space in your tank. I was thinking of getting another piece of driftwood placed vertically to use the space. I'm not quite sure yet really. Do you have CO2 on that Chi?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 06:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by glympse247365 View Post
Wow! Your tanks are amazing! I love how you utilized the vertical space in your tank. I was thinking of getting another piece of driftwood placed vertically to use the space. I'm not quite sure yet really. Do you have CO2 on that Chi?
Thank you very much! I would definitely recommend getting a tall piece of driftwood or some very tall plants to take up the vertical space. It really makes the tank seem larger and more dynamic.

I started using a DIY CO2 setup after the my most recent re-scape just to help get the micro sword to carpet a little faster, but I don't normally run CO2 on the Chi. The current plants are the aforementioned micro sword, marsilea quadrifolia, anubias nana, rotala indica, java moss and some floaters.

|
- Board Member

Auqatop Bowfront (9g) | Fluval Chi (5g) | Current Solo (5g) | Classic Chrome Rim (5g) | JBJ Picotope (3g) | Humidor (1.25 g) | 2x Marina Cubus (.9g) [ Threads:
|
]

Tags
chi, fluval, nano planted, newbie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode