Dr. Clean's "pure" tank reincarnated? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/98%)
Dr. Clean's "pure" tank reincarnated?

Hey guys its been a little while but I'm trying to get back into planted tanks full swing. I was alway for a while for research and a marine biology class.

While I was away, I had someone take care of my plants. Well it didn't really work out. Inconsistant fertilization and co2. Its werid because some of my plants just thrived. Like my polygonums, when I came back I had a forest. But some of my more pized plants was in bad shape beyond help. Most of my erios and toninas was gone. Its really heart breaking to lose plants that you really put your heart into growing. *tears*

So I took the opertuinty to pretty much start over. Im gonna try to build a new tank from the ground up correctly this time and over time fix all my other tanks.

I had this idea to create what I call a pure tank. I guess a part of me really wants things to be clean. Even though I havn't cleaned my room for 3 years and its taking me days to clean it right now. What I pictured is truely a tank with only things I want. No more snails, no more worms, no more hydra, and only the stuff I want in there.

So I bought some plants that was pretty much clean already to begin with and I diped them in salt water over and over again until my OCD felt good. I rinsed in between dips and inspected it over and over again. I also used very small portions of plants that was from my tanks that I knew I had snails and algae. I cleaned it off manually and salt dipped it over and over again.

Then created the tank, a 5 gallon rimless. Thanks lopez_316us I used my camera phone and I forgot that it was in macro mode. So sorry for the bad pictures.

Added some used but dried out aquasoil. Thanks plantbrain. It was out in freezing cold for a few months to make sure everything in it was dead. I needed to be 100% sure

I started to fill it up with some water. Reusing plastic bags of course
I'm using the new tom's mini rapids for a filter

Halfway through, I added the plants. Thanks to mrkookm and kotoeloncat. I added some moss but u can't see it because its such a small portion. I had to make sure there were no creapy crawlies in there. They are tied on the wood. There are 3 types and mainly I need it to grow out.

And ta da!!

Although I need a better light. Any suggestions? The problem is that I have a Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-24" which is nice but it doesn't fit a 5 gal and its just doesn't look very well over that tank. I need something smaller.

My orginal intent is to slowly grow every plant I have in ever other tank in this one by having only 1 stem or so of each plant in this tank. Then I can tear down that tank and start it clean. Its gonna take me months and I wanna cycle this tank. Slowly but surely I am gonna redo 4 tanks of various sizes.

But in the mean time, I like it. I didn't really wanna aquascape it, but it looks like a good start. Maybe over time when this is done I can scape it.

Thanks for coming along the Dr. Clean ride.

Oh and if u see and eriocaulons, Let me know!

I'm not a doctor in real life but I play one on this forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by dr.tran; 03-30-2010 at 05:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Substrate is a bit deep IMO.

||
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:06 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (12/100%)
Very nice tank. And Erios like the deep substrate.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks and I really like the inital clean look. But time will tell. Also its 3" deep in the back. Its really not that deep but because its short, it makes it look deep.

post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
You need to get a fast growing cycling plant in there. My new FAVORITE is Najas sp 'Roraima'. It is the BEST for cycling a new tank!!! It's easy to add and easy to get out. It doesn't loose little leaves all over. It works for high light and low light tanks. Here's a px. I have cycled new ADA Amazonia added to 2 existing tanks with livestock in the tanks. No casualties!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Hey texgal thanks but I have used aquasoil so I wont have that inintal problem. I know I just didn't wanna add any because mines has snails all over it. I had them with a passion right now.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 04:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal
Yes, but aren't you just setting this tank up or is your filter aged? Don't you need to have nutrifying bacteria grab a hold? Won't you have new tank syndrome? I wasn't just talking about the ammonia from A.S. Most tanks go through a new cycle. It can even happen with a seasoned tank that has a MAJOR rescape. Guess I just didn't understand.

BTW so sorry about your tank. It's horrid when people don't do what they are supposed to when you are away. I know you must have been devastated. It's a lot of hard work down the drain!

Just keeping on keeping on....

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Oh yeah I know about that part but I also want to test out a theory that there is some bacteria on it but a hibernated form. What I mean is that in the past I had tanks cycle faster even though it was dried and had no plants for a while.

Yeah ur right though but I have time for this tank. I don't mind if it takes a while to get it done but I really wanna make sure its done right.

Thanks for understanding. I had so many prized plants in there that took me a year or more to get. Collectoritis some people say, but I think it is truley a sincere apperication for nature in all of its aspects. It really did break my heart when I found out my eriocaulons have passed away. Its the hardest thing to ever get back. *tears* =(

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Hi Dr. Tran!!! I'm so glad to see you back and with a nice tank! The tank looks really nice already. Let's wait for everything to grow and see the final result!

Good luck!!

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
Oh one more thing! What are your planning to have in there? I mean fish or shrimp?

Also, I'm subscribe to this thread.

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
Hi Dr. Tran!!! I'm so glad to see you back and with a nice tank! The tank looks really nice already. Let's wait for everything to grow and see the final result!

Good luck!!
Hey thanks man. After all it was ur tank. I didn't really plan to scape this tank though, more like a grow out clean tank. But time will tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopez_316us View Post
Oh one more thing! What are your planning to have in there? I mean fish or shrimp?

Also, I'm subscribe to this thread.
I was thinking maybe some CPDs or some red tiger shrimp. But im not sure yet. Maybe nothing. I have several tanks that are just plants and nothing else.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Planted Member

Look into the Coralife Mini Aqualight, it's a 9" long 18W PC light. With a hanging kit, you can suspend it, or you can try to use mounting legs or something of that like.

It's what i'm planning on doing for my 5g project tank (with the bracket kit, not the hanging kit)
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target View Post
Look into the Coralife Mini Aqualight, it's a 9" long 18W PC light. With a hanging kit, you can suspend it, or you can try to use mounting legs or something of that like.

It's what i'm planning on doing for my 5g project tank (with the bracket kit, not the hanging kit)
This is what i did with my Ada Mini M.

Your tank is looking good so far

Eheim Pimp #430

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walking_Target View Post

A little warning. I have the same light and found out that the mounting legs that are available (claims to fit "all models") does not work with the 9" mini light.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 03:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

So what legs did u use for the light after all? I can't really hang it although that would look good.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode